What constitutes “long range hunting”?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long range is subjective to the potential of the tool you have at hand and your ability. I contend a 150 yard shot with a open sighted 30-30 is long range but a rifle that carries 1800 lbs of energy to 1000 yards is a whole never level of long range.

So what exactly is "long range hunting"? Here in Texas the a average shot is around 100 or less. My longest on deer was 225 and my longest on a prairie dog was 350+. At these ranges I'm not sure that BC or barrel length matter that much. When do these "factors" come into play?
LR hunting is defined differently by every hunter. My son just killed a deer at 400 yards last Friday. The landowner watched the shot and the deer drop. He was amazed at how far that was. He said there's no way he'd have killed a deer if it wasn't inside 150 yards. He sets up for 100 yards or under for deer hunting. For guys that know how to shoot distance, 400 yards is a chip shot even in wind. Chose one rifle and get behind it ALOT at the range shooting at the ranges you may take shots at and make 600-800 yard shots look easy. Too me, anything over 750 is long range hunting shots. Your definition of LR changes pretty fast once your confidence at LR shooting increases.

LR hunting is defined differently by every hunter. My son just killed a deer at 400 yards last Friday. The landowner watched the shot and the deer drop. He was amazed at how far that was. He said there's no way he'd have killed a deer if it wasn't inside 150 yards. He sets up for 100 yards or under for deer hunting. For guys that know how to shoot distance, 400 yards is a chip shot even in wind. Chose one rifle and get behind it ALOT at the range shooting at the ranges you may take shots at and make 600-800 yard shots look easy. Too me, anything over 750 is long range hunting shots. Your definition of LR changes pretty fast once your confidence at LR shooting increases.
L 🤣L! That's why I responded according in #3 as ...
On this site the ELR forum is >1KY; LR then is <1KY. However, the NUT behind the trigger defines what is LR to them.

L 🤣L! That's why I responded according in #3 as ..
It's the "Hunting" in the sentence that is concerning. Shooting isn't the issue. Anyone can shoot a mile. Who cares if they can't hit the target, it's only a target. I've killed G'hogs well past 1000 yards with single shot kills cold bore. Both in wind and dead calm. It's extermination for land owners and a wounding shot, is a kill to the farmer. That critter isn't a problem anymore. On deer or big game animals, my range is 750-800 max because I can't determine conditions in most places the shot is going to be. When I can, and it's in my wheel house, the range may be longer. I have a range I shoot at and in wind and poor conditions I can make the 800 consistently. I'm comfortable and confident there. That said, there are still scenarios I will not shoot half that far. Everyone's number is different as you put it, the nut behind the trigger determines "his"LR number.

I feel that for the average hunter [aka me] it would be anything beyond MPBR = maximum point blank range for their caliber. That's likely anything beyond 350-400 yards for common hunting calibers. I'm always skill building/practicing for that eventual long shot, but still haven't had to harvest anything beyond ~300 yards.

I feel that for the average hunter [aka me] it would be anything beyond MPBR = maximum point blank range for their caliber. That's likely anything beyond 350-400 yards for common hunting calibers. I'm always skill building/practicing for that eventual long shot, but still haven't had to harvest anything beyond ~300 yards.
I would consider for anyone...100 yards past their personal best! MPBR is affected by the size of target...and therefore could be well out of ones comfort zone. Another factor for myself is consistency......hitting a long distance target once in 20 + rounds isn't enough for a pat on the back IMHO! But is just me!

Last edited:
I would consider for anyone...100 yards past their personal best! MPBR is affected by the size of target...and therefore could be well out of ones comfort zone. Another factor for myself is consistency......hitting a long distance target once in 20 + rounds isn't enough for a pat on the back IMHO! Bit is just me!
I concur

Long range is subjective to the potential of the tool you have at hand and your ability. I contend a 150 yard shot with a open sighted 30-30 is long range but a rifle that carries 1800 lbs of energy to 1000 yards is a whole never level of long range.
I agree, ask a 10 year old and they might say that shooting a starling ,out of the top of a pepper tree , with a BB gun ,50 feet up ,is long range hunting.

I agree, ask a 10 year old and they might say that shooting a starling ,out of the top of a pepper tree , with a BB gun ,50 feet up ,is long range hunting.

Or a 14 yr old with his peep-sighted Benjamin pellet gun in 1960, shooting his first blackbird out of a tree...

The gun he bought with his own morning paper route money.

And he was the most up to date 8th grader on current events because he read the daily paper as he walked his route before school every day.

Wish I still had that gun to give to my grandkids.

Or a 14 yr old with his peep-sighted Benjamin pellet gun in 1960, shooting his first blackbird out of a tree...

The gun he bought with his own morning paper route money.

And he was the most up to date 8th grader on current events because he read the daily paper as he walked his route before school every day.

Wish I still had that gun to give to my grandkids.
Since on the subject. As a kid, I shot a wrist rocket alot. So much that I became very proficient with it. Birds and I mean sparrows at 15 yards were no trouble. That got me into archery. The pellet gun comparison is really good tho. Many young kids at 8-14 shoot them and killing at 25-30 yards is fairly easy. Best part about it is, it's the start for the young and stepping into this world is next

Status
Not open for further replies.