Outdoor Solutions - Long Range Schools

CAScotsman

I wanted to provide the link to this outfit for other novice LR shooters. I'd been a self taught rifle shooter and hunter for over 35 years but always <250 yards, so sought out a long range school. They had good references, I'd booked a TX management hunt through them before, and I got a cancellation spot discount at the last minute. They have multiple locations, but my only experience is with their original TX site. This class was two days of classroom/range and one day pig hunting. Lodging, food, ammo, and rifles provided if you didn't want to bring your own. As I recall we used semi-custom Remington rifles, 6.5 Creedmoor, suppressed, with Barnes/Hornady ammo, Zeiss scopes. They covered concepts, rifle set up, range-finding, wind judgement, tablet/cell phone software solutions, working with your spotter, fundamentals from the bench followed by the use of sticks and soft bags standing/seated/kneeling/prone in the field. After the first bench day at the 1000 yard range (I was fully effective to 800 yards then needed more work beyond that) you went on to a field course shooting at angles, across valleys with variable winds, etc. The field course set ups were great! The last day was a pig hunt. I'd give the school nearly 5 stars, but the pig hunting about 3 stars compared to shot opportunity in Central CA. About 1/3 of the clients got pigs. Well run operation with good coaches/guides and very nice facilities/food. Would make a good family outing if you could afford it.

I'd always used trigger sticks, but I bought a set of their lightweight, plastic-bead filled, large & small shooting bags for the field that you get to use when you're there. Really effective and essential if you aren't on stable sticks. Easy to attach with a small clip to your day-pack.

If others have references to and experience with other long range schools, like the others already posted, I'd appreciate reading them. I'm a Hunter Education Instructor who often gets asked for referrals to further shooting instruction.

https://outdoorsolutionscorp.com/long-range-shooting/