What cartridge Rem SPS varmint?

CDNtbone303

Hi, new to the forum. I just recently bought a Remington 700 SPS Varmint. This is my first gun and plan on using it for hunting out to about 5-600 yards. It's a 308 Win and I was wondering what cartridge (bullet weight and brand) would shoot the best out of my gun, and the rate of twist of barrel 1:12 if that is of any importance? Thanks in advance.

For practice Federal, Black Hills, Cor-bon, or Double Tap, all loaded with 168grn sierra match kings. For hunting Winchester Supreme CT 168 ballistic tip. I suggest reloading equipment as the next investment.

Which ever bullet you use,practice,practice,practice.Never take a shot on a game animal at any distance, unless you can consistently make the shot is at least 4-5 inch group past 300.All my kids shoot and a couple do hunt,I never let them fire at a deer until they could shoot a quarter size group at 100 off the bag on the bench.Thats just me,no animal deserves to be wounded,not even a **** coyote, and I personally can't stand them............Just my 2 cents worth

Which ever bullet you use,practice,practice,practice.Never take a shot on a game animal at any distance, unless you can consistently make the shot is at least 4-5 inch group past 300.All my kids shoot and a couple do hunt,I never let them fire at a deer until they could shoot a quarter size group at 100 off the bag on the bench.Thats just me,no animal deserves to be wounded,not even a **** coyote, and I personally can't stand them............Just my 2 cents worth
+1
and actually use your hunting load at the bench to get used to it and make sure it groups well.

I went with 168 grain Barnes vor-tx TTSX, They had them and remington 165 Accutips I went with the Barnes instead they seem like better quality, were only $5 more. I will shoot them and see how they group, if they don't do good I will try the Winchester silver tips, or Rem Accutips.

When you get you skill level where you are comfortable taking game at the range you are wanting to,and have burned up enough cheap stuff.Look at the GS Custom HV bullet,they have out performed every other bullet I have used.Of coarse you have to hand load,they will give more velocity,and less pressure with the same load of powder......good luck with your shooting................

When you get you skill level where you are comfortable taking game at the range you are wanting to,and have burned up enough cheap stuff.Look at the GS Custom HV bullet,they have out performed every other bullet I have used.Of coarse you have to hand load,they will give more velocity,and less pressure with the same load of powder......good luck with your shooting................
At $2 +per pill they had better be good. I've used the gs hv's in my 338 win and they don't do anything special for me. They shoot fine, but so do hornady, sierra, nosler, and barnes. It seems from what's written that they don't have as good a bc as once claimed. I haven't played with them at a long enough range to know.

well I understand your point.My rifle must just like them,the HV 130gr with 80gr. of powder gives me 166fps more than the same load with a 120gr barnes ttsx........each to his own I guess,I like um and will keep using them.........good luck with your shooting,and thanks for your input.......

I have a Remington 700 SPS Tactical with a 20" barrel. The factory round that has shot the best from that rifle is the 168 grain Hornady AMAX Match.

So, I decided to roll my own using the 168 grain AMAX. I use 42.7 grains of AA2520 and CCI primers. I've been shooting sub .5 MOA groups consistantly out to 550 yards using this recipe.

Mine is a bull barrel, so I'm not sure how it would compare to your SPS Varmint.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.