Remington SPS Varmint Stock

scsims

I picked up a Remington 700 SPS Varmint today in .308, and the stock is pretty cheap on this thing.

Should I install pillars, glass bed the action and free float the barrel or just buy a H-S or something similar?

It's cheap but works well enough. I recently popped mine on here and it sold fast. I wouldn't bother with any bedding because in the end, you are still working with a cheap @$$ stock. If you have it in your budget, get a better one, just my opinion :)

I got threw on a H-S Police stock and it definitely tightened up the groups, it now shoots about .4" with little effort. With that said, even with the cheapo factory stock, it was still shooting around .7", not bad considering how flimsy the stock was.

If you feel like tinkering, keep it and decide on which bedding approach to take. If you don't like it, you're not out a whole lot, it's not like the stock is worth a ton of $$(they bring 65.00 to $80.00)

*NOTE: How does yours shoot with the factory stock?

Here's mine with the new stock...
PoliceGBpic.jpg

Actually I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Just thought I would start it out right. How much did your H-S stock cost?

I was impatient and missed out on a few good deals on this forum and others so I ordered the sinple black one from Midway for $295.00 I believe it was. You can order from other sites and if you want a different color, you'll be waiting weeks, maybe months.

Just check forums constantly and keep an eye out for a H-S PSS/Police short action stock and if it's 250.00 or less do Not hesitate to contact the seller.

The actual Model # of the stock is the PST12.

I couldn't stand how the rifle felt and pointed when I brought it home. I put 40 rounds down the tube and it shot extremely well. In the end, It just "felt" wrong, I'm sure you know what I mean.

Also keep an eye out for a VS stock, they are popping up everywhere lately and if you're quick enough, you can get one for a good price. The VS stock doesn't have the palm swell though, so if you wan't that, look to the PSS stock.

I also have a take off stock from a 700P, I love it! I have stocks that are a little better for shooting prone, but this stock is great in any postion. I especially like how it handels off hand!

006-4.jpg

I also have a take off stock from a 700P, I love it! I have stocks that are a little better for shooting prone, but this stock is great in any postion. I especially like how it handels off hand!

006-4.jpg

Unless I'm going blind, it looks as if we have the same rings and scope. Oops, yours looks to be a 50mm so a 4200 I'm assuming. I like your stock better, may be time to paint mine! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts