What cartridge/bullet for hog hunting?

I live in Texas as well, and, although we don't have many pigs in my part of it, I've killed enough to be able to say there has been a lot of good advise given. I have a sentimental spot for .25-06, so that would be my vote of the options you listed, with a good penetrating bullet. 110 Accubond as fast as you can push it would be a great choice, but there are plenty of others.

My predator calling buddy has a bunch of farm and ranch land in the central part of the state. I was lucky enough to go on a helicopter depredation hunt with him once. The guys that do it for a living use Benelli shotguns with buckshot, but, keep in mind the shots are probably not averaging much over 30 yards and the angle makes the brain and spine vulnerable, so that combo stacks them up.
I took a 7.62x39 AR with a red dot and 123 SSTs, and it was tons of fun and very effective. Every shot was running, so a few took extra rounds to finish off. One of them was a huge boar that would've went over 300. We killed 21 pigs, 2 coyotes, and a cat in under an hour. They have their property flown 2 times a year (that hour was just a small portion of one place), and they kill just as many every time they fly…

I haven't had a chance to make it, but my dad and uncle have gone up to north Texas and set up on a cousin's hay grazer patch while he was swathing it. Just about every pass through the field flushes out a pig or 10, and it's kind of like busting a pheasant or covey of quail. The old man had a lot of fun with an M1 Garand…
Flushing pigs sound like great fun. I would bring a Rem 760 pump in 308.

I shoot hawgs with anything I have at my disposal, from 22 Mag to 338 Lapua, they all have died of lead poisoning, 12 GA 3" - 000 buck shot work exceptionally well too. I use a 7.62x39 AR15, 125 gr sp as often as possible if its a scheduled hawg hunt and out to 150 yards it seems to do the trick very well and out of a helicopter may be the best medicine I have used.

If you're itching to get another rig, a 450 Bushmaster is one hell of a hog round, too. Get it on an AR15 platform so you can change out uppers to a different cartridge if you want at a later date.
I have a 458 SOCOM and it is absolutely devastating on the swine, but so spendy too shoot even reloading but, if terminal performance is the key those big AR pellets are the ticket.

We shoot a lot of hogs in Central TX, the pic below is an average early morning kill if they come in to the feeder, 10 in less than a minute. 7.69x39 and 6.5 Grendel, switch back fence around the feeder gets em confused when they are trying to evacuate when the pew pew starts.

Attachments

• pickup load of hogs HICO TX.jpg
    pickup load of hogs HICO TX.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 92
So I texted him this am . 30-50 yards, early am and late pm. He's shooting a 9mm carbine and says he's been grilling and they taste good!
I would definitely be taking a carbine, probably my 350 Legend running 125gr hammers and call it good. Would probably take a Gredel as backup in case some extended range shots come up.

I shoot hawgs with anything I have at my disposal, from 22 Mag to 338 Lapua, they all have died of lead poisoning, 12 GA 3" - 000 buck shot work exceptionally well too. I use a 7.62x39 AR15, 125 gr sp as often as possible if its a scheduled hawg hunt and out to 150 yards it seems to do the trick very well and out of a helicopter may be the best medicine I have used.
This.

I have shot them bow hunting, shed hunting (.44 mag, .357. 10MM, 40S&W). My bro flushed an shot one with 20ga #2 on a mod choke (still not sure what he was up to that day) and it ran 20 yards and piled up. Every platform mentioned in this thread will get it done - SHOT PLACEMENT.

We shoot a lot of hogs in Central TX, the pic below is an average early morning kill if they come in to the feeder, 10 in less than a minute. 7.69x39 and 6.5 Grendel, switch back fence around the feeder gets em confused when they are trying to evacuate when the pew pew starts.
Now that's how you do it!!!!
Awesome

I usually read an entire thread before making a comment, but the 11 pages (151 posts) of this one is a bit much.
So forgive me if I repeat what someone else has said.
Please note that several people have referred to their night vision optics. I would say they are more to be concerned with than the cartridge and bullet you are using.

It amazes me that that there must be so many wild pigs. I had visions of maybe long distance shots or maybe tagging along at night to watch

Recent Posts