What caliber?

The biggest thing in my arsenal is a .280 Rem so I'd use the 165 grain Sierra Gamechangers or the Nosler 175 partitions. For the 6.5s it would like be 140 grain partitions.

Last edited:
What rifles are in the safe? You may have something that will work just fine. A lot of elk have been taken with 30-06 and 270s. Personally I like my 300 rum.

I think it depends on the circumstances. Ol' Cutter posted up above that he's killed a very impressive number of elk! I've only taken a couple. Used a 30-06/165 for one and a 7mm Rem mag/175 for another. Both rifles worked just fine.

Know a fellow who fed himself for several years, just using his 30-30 Winchester. He had a nice setup where he could count on short range, unhurried shots. He'd take a cow elk every winter. Always one shot, usually under 50 yards.

And the 25-06 & 257 Wby crowd have done a great job on elk with premium 115 - 120 gr bullets.

Sometimes I think we make this whole thing more complicated than it has to be.

Regards, Guy

If you put it in the right spot, most anything already mentioned will work. If you have hunted very long, you know anything can happen. I prefer a little over kill so if something happens and I hit a shoulder, I still have a dead elk. I shoot a 300 wsm with either a 180 or 190 grain bullet.

6.5 with 135ish grain smallest I would use today. I've used smaller .24 and. 25 cals which did and will work fine when everything goes right. Last elk we killed with a 6.5 135gr at 520yards was dead on her feet, but stood long enough we felt another shot was needed so we shot again which put her down for good.

My best advice I can give folks when choosing guns/caliber for elk is
#1 bring the gun that you can shoot the best(shot placement trumps all other factors)
#2 when shots don't go right bigger is better

200 yards and under 243 with 103gr eldx
300-500 25-06 with 131 gr blackjack ace
500-1000 my 300 win mag with 208gr
Now I have never needed to an animal over 600 yards but if I ever was presented with the shot I would. I have practiced with my 300 win all the way out to a mile and I'm averaging a 9" group at 1k. But I prefer to get closer

Wife took a cow this winter at 705 yards with a 6.5-284 Norma 143 grn. Eld x. Didn't take one step DRT.

I would shoot an elk close with just about anything. 270 with a 130 gr. bullet is the smallest that I would take if I had a choice. Smaller works but you are asking for trouble. We have had a rash of people in WY that have had problems using 6.5 creedmoor. Most of them have moved here from out of state. These paid gunwriters don't know the damage they are doing when they talk this cartridge up. A buddy of mine, his first year here, even took his 6.5 over a 300 Weatherby because of all the hype and lost a bull over it. He doesn't do that anymore.

My son is small so I built him a 260 rem. He took his first elk with it 3 years ago, 617 yards 129gr ABLR, 1 shot elk took two steps and fell dead, small 6x6. Since then he's killed 2 cows with it at 450 and 525. But we did go up to the 142gr ABLR. We also shot a 5x5 with it this year at 430 yards, 1shot, DRT. We have taken 14 elk with a 280rem with 150gr ABLR in the past 6 seasons from 350-630 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts