What caliber?

I've used 7 mag on elk with success, and have seen several elk killed by all 3 of those chamberings. All 3 are adequate for the job. The bullet used and placement of said bullet is more important than the cartridge. Pick a good controlled expansion bullet that shoots well in your rifle. Pick something with a reputation for being tough and retaining a decent % of its weight after expansion, either in a monometal design or bonded core. Pick bullets on the heavier side of the range for their respective calibers; ex: 140 - 150 gr. in .277", 150 - 175 gr. in .284", 180 - 200+ gr. in .308".
Examples: Barnes LRX or TTSX, Hornady GMX or ELD-X, Nosler Accubond, Accubond LR or E-Tip, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw or Tip, etc.
One of our fellow OT members makes Badlands Precision Bulldozer bullets, which are an aluminum tipped monometal bullet, and they would be a good choice as well. They shoot well and are very tough.

That is a shooter/hunter problem, not a cartridge problem. I don't see how a 130gr bullet out of a 270 is any better than a 130 out of a 6.5 whatever. What about a 130 out of a 6.5-06 or a 6.5x284 or a 260 AI?
Also, I would bet more dumbasses shooting big magnums make more bad shots than guys shooting the little 6.5s.

Why stop there? What about a 130 out of an Allen Magnum? Oh wait... Kirby doesn't suggest it as an elk cartridge. It IS a shooter/hunter problem, one that has been created by gun writers over hyping a cartridge that is not sufficient for normal people to use on elk at long ranges. We have always had problems with wounded elk with all sizes of cartridges, but now we can add the 6.5 Creed to the mix.

Because my 6.5 X 284 is illegal to use for Elk in Ky.
And I don't like the smallest that will work idea! What? Keep going smaller until it doesn't work? What then? I'm comfortable with my choices..
Either rifle would work just fine anywhere for Elk!

I didn't know that there were minimums as high as .270 for elk anywhere until you mentioned this. In Wyoming the minimum is .240. I do know of several elk taken with a .243 Win, all with 1 shot to the heart. They were all antelope hunting and ran into some elk and capitalized on it.

Why stop there? What about a 130 out of an Allen Magnum? Oh wait... Kirby doesn't suggest it as an elk cartridge. It IS a shooter/hunter problem, one that has been created by gun writers over hyping a cartridge that is not sufficient for normal people to use on elk at long ranges. We have always had problems with wounded elk with all sizes of cartridges, but now we can add the 6.5 Creed to the mix.

Kirby doesn't think his 6.5 Allen Mag is an elk cartridge?

Oops, a 6.5 was not suppose to kill this elk.

image.jpeg

I have 3 options available to me to begin some shooting practice with. A .308, a 30-06 or a 7mm Mag.

My reading has shown that all of them are solid choices, but some opinions from my group are that the .308 is undersized.

Sounds like you have some good friends to invite you on such a hunt.

Sounds like you have some friends who may have never hunted elk with a .308.

I've shot my last five rifle-killed bulls with a .308 using 180 grain bullets. Ranges were from 200-310 yards. It is my rifle of choice. Accurate beyond accurate, and for some reason I still cannot explain, seems to kill things deader than it should.

Any of the calibers you have mentioned are all good elk cartridges, especially at the ranges you mention. Choose which of those rifles fits you the best, has the smoothest trigger, and go with that one. If it is any of those three calibers, it will kill any elk you encounter.

6.5x284 with 140 bergers have never let me down, never needed a second shot. I have witnessed 2 elk knocked down only to get back up and run off wounded, never recovered, and both were shot with a 308 at relatively close distance.

Over the years I've recovered "used-up" bullets", that failed to kill the elk. One was a .24 caliber, the other a .27 caliber (measured the remaining base). But, I've never recovered a bullet over .27 caliber from from an elk! I realize that a pretty small sample base, to form an accurate conclusion! Of course, maybe no one has hunted in Wyoming with a rifle over .27 caliber. memtb

The way I look at it if there is no reason what so ever not to use as powerful a rifle as is practical then there is no down side what so ever if I have no issues with a little more weight and recoil is not an issue and I can choose between a 243 or a 338wm I'll take the 338 all day
I'm not traveling 1k or more miles and spending thou$ands to limit my effective range due to rifle of choice
I have personally helped debone and pack out 8 bull elk and was left in awe of the size of their bone structure vs the deer I have butchered.
I will grant you within it's limited effective range a well placed well constructed 243 will kill any bull grave yard dead but stretch that range out and add in less than ideal shot angle and no way to close the gap and that's when my 200 grain 300wsm or my 225 grain 338wm comes into their own.
I am all but immune to recoil and my 300wsm Tikka T3 solves any weight issues for me, so FOR ME hunting with a lesser caliber is fool hardy
If your hunt comes down to you spot a 6x6 bull elk at 400 yards and a sharply quarting angle and you can not close the range to 200 you will NEVER find yourself cursing and declare yourself an idiot having chosen to hunt that day with a 300wsm pushing a 200 grain bullet at 2870 instead of your 243, the reverse not so much I think.

I'm not saying you MUST hunt with a caliber of magnum performance but I do think it's wise to choose a caliber who's performance will not limit your effective range. If conditions and my abilities allow a 600 yard effective range on elk Im not doing that with a 243, 25-06 or a caliber of similar performance.
Bottom line for those who can there is no down side to elk hunting with a traditional elk caliber
Just my 2c

Last edited:
I just "prefer" to shoot bigger animals with bigger calibers, ha. One thing is, I've had the privilege to hunt in some exotic places (Africa and Texas Exotics) where if you "draw blood", you pay for the animal! And that's OK, but to "hedge my bet", I liked the Barnes monos in any rfile I chose to take. I do, as mentioned, like to use fatter bullets, but had to compromise one season. I was "freshly fused" from a neck surgery one year and hunted Utah/Texas with a .220 Swift/55gr TBBC. Later, in the Spring, I had a 27" barreled semi-custom 6x47mm ( .222 magnum necked up to 6mm) and used the Barnes 85 xbt in Texas. I had it loaded to 2900fps, moderate/average .243 win speed. I killed an axis doe, then an axis buck and then a 500 pound Scimitar Horned Oryx. I shot it at the base of the neck, 184yds(couldn't get closer w/o disturbing them) and pole axed him. I then gave him another ( insurance shot) at 75yds, up the brisket, through the heart and it broke/stopped in his spine! Not too bad. BUT...I had confidence in the little rifle and my ability to hit where I wanted to "on an undisturbed animal". I would have "passed" on any kind of angling shot on him too. With bigger guns ( and good premium bullets with monos being first choice for me) I found I could anchor a really big animal with a hard angle. I never tried to "shoot him in the rump/hips" just to anchor him ( ala Elmer Keith during the Great Depression) so I could then finish them. I have taken some nice trophies by having the capability. Now, one of my hunting buddies uses a little BLR .308 with 150 Corlokt for everything, deer/antelope, elk, and a big cow bison, ha. "I'm uncomfortable" even watching long range shots on elk (over 350 to beyond) with any caliber as "I can't do it and never have", BUT, some can and do. To each his own! Now, clipping/wounding a Rice Burner Commie or Jihadi at 1200 + I'm all in! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts