What caliber to shoot 140 - 142 grain bullets 3300 fps or more?

You make a great point. If you are shooting coyotes and varmints then I get it.

But for medium and large game like the OP mentioned, thats going to be a lot of blown shoulders with no penetration, especially with Non Bonded bullets.

Now if your in to Mono's and trying to run some Hammers at that speed then go right ahead.

And yes heavier is better, more penetration and energy.

Let's say we use the M80 for example. It's max effective range is approximately 850-900 yards with around 400 ft lbs of energy at +- 2700 FPS.
Now a .208 grain ELD running around 2400 FPS has approximately a 1250 - 1300 yard range with around 550 ft lbs of energy.

That Elk cannot tell the difference between 2800 FPS or 3300 FPS. He is just thinking. WTC. ( what the crap )

It's about control not speed.

Let's say we use the M80 for example. It's max effective range is approximately 850-900 yards with around 400 ft lbs of energy at +- 2700 FPS.
Now a .208 grain ELD running around 2400 FPS has approximately a 1250 - 1300 yard range with around 550 ft lbs of energy.

That Elk cannot tell the difference between 2800 FPS or 3300 FPS. He is just thinking. WTC. ( what the crap )

It's about control not speed.

If you are shooting the right bullet yes, I agree with you, but if you are using a soft bullet like a 140gr ballistic tip, a berger or other soft cup and core and encounter a close shot at say 100 yds when the bullet is going over 3,000 fps, that elk will tell the difference when that bullet fragments on it's shoulder and it doesn't penetrate to the vitals and it takes off, and now we have a wounded animal to track and hopefully recover.

If using a 140gr Accubond or a 139gr Interbond then the OP will be fine.

It is about control, and also shot placement, but bullet construction is key when pushing bullets that fast.

You make a great point. If you are shooting coyotes and varmints then I get it.

But for medium and large game like the OP mentioned, thats going to be a lot of blown shoulders with no penetration, especially with Non Bonded bullets.

Now if your in to Mono's and trying to run some Hammers at that speed then go right ahead.

And yes heavier is better, more penetration and energy.

Let's say we use the M80 for example ( 149 gn 7.62x51mm , nato.308 ). It's max effective range is approximately 850-900 yards with around 400 ft lbs of energy at +- 2700 FPS.
Now a .208 grain ELD running around 2400 FPS has approximately 575-600 ft lbs with around 1300 yards max effective range.

And I think It depends on what type of bullet you're using that dictates what type of penetration you will have. I have had some rounds that 400 and lower yards achieved a through and through unless it hit a bone, because of the higher velocity. Same round slowed down (colder loads) expanded and achieved a fatal type shot with out hitting bone. Faster isn't always better.

Remember the one about the young and old bulls. The young one wanted to run down the hill and breed on of the cows. The older bull said why not walk down and breed them all.

If you are shooting the right bullet yes, I agree with you, but if you are using a soft bullet like a 140gr ballistic tip, a berger or other soft cup and core and encounter a close shot at say 100 yds when the bullet is going over 3,000 fps, that elk will tell the difference when that bullet fragments on it's shoulder and it doesn't penetrate to the vitals and it takes off, and now we have a wounded animal to track and hopefully recover.

If using a 140gr Accubond or a 139gr Interbond then the OP will be fine.

It is about control, and also shot placement, but bullet construction is key when pushing bullets that fast.
Why would you be using a soft bullet for an elk?

Why would you be using a soft bullet for an elk?

Agreed faster isn't always better, unless you are using a monolithic or a bonded bullet.

I wouldn't use a soft bullet on elk, that is why I posted for the OP to use a bonded bullet if he wants to use a 140gr bullet at magnum speeds.

I'd rather use a 160gr or 162gr on my 7mm Rem Mag and I'll have more penetration at longer range

Whether I use a 140gr Accubond or a 162gr SST, at 800 yds I'm still at 1,800 fps with over 1,100 ft/lbs of energy with both bullets but I know the heavier bullet will hold together better and penetrate more.

Agreed faster isn't always better, unless you are using a monolithic or a bonded bullet.

I wouldn't use a soft bullet on elk, that is why I posted for the OP to use a bonded bullet if he wants to use a 140gr bullet at magnum speeds.

I'd rather use a 160gr or 162gr on my 7mm Rem Mag and I'll have more penetration at longer range

Whether I use a 140gr Accubond or a 162gr SST, at 800 yds I'm still at 1,800 fps with over 1,100 ft/lbs of energy with both bullets but I know the heavier bullet will hold together better and penetrate more.

I agree exactly, I guess i just get wound up with people who ask questions, that if they understood ballistics, they wouldn't be asking in the first place.

I agree exactly, I guess i just get wound up with people who ask questions, that if they understood ballistics, they wouldn't be asking in the first place.
I thought this was a forum? What is the purpose of a forum if you don't ask questions? Maybe I should have left this alone!!!

I thought this was a forum? What is the purpose of a forum if you don't ask questions? Maybe I should have left this

I thought it was a forum for long range. 500 yards isn't long range. Maybe I am in the wrong place for what I considered to be long range. My bad.

I would like to shoot as flat a trajectory as practical. I'm not concerned about recoil,action length, price of brass, price of factory ammo or whether to reload. I can shoot factory loads and be happy. I just want to shoot deer, antelope and occasionally an elk to 500 yards.Any and all comments, suggestions are appreciated
You will find it in your favor to run a 28 inch barrel if you go with a case capacity up close to 100g h2o. It will assure you get to the velocities you stated as well as having enough barrel to burn of all of your powder if you are running slow burning powders that those ultra sized cases like. I've noticed carbon fouling may come sooner, much sooner if running a slow burning powder like n570 in a cartridge up to around & above 98g h2o capacity in a 26" & less. This may not always happen but sometimes does.
If I wanted to shoot a 140g at those speeds, 6.5 cal is the way to go. 26 nosler or 6.5 weatherby. This statement comes from a die hard 7mm fanatic.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.