What Caliber for 600yd Whitetail? (New rifle Build)

How could you go wrong with a 24" Carbon barrel in 338 Rum sending the 250 gr bergers at 3000 ft.per.sec! 😎😎
I love it. But that'll kill way past his 600 yard limit. So let's say that same rifle loaded with 175 grain ish projos at 36-3700 fps. Requires no thought inside of 400 yards, and hits like thors hammer

6.5 mm provides great options for a long range "deer gun". The 6.5 Creedmoor is a fantastic round despite its critics. My load using 135 gr Berger Classic Hunter bullets provides 1060 ft-lbs of energy at 600 yards, making it a sufficient deer killer at that range. My 6.5-284 load using 156 gr Elite Hunting bullets provides over 1500 ft-lbs of energy at 600 yards, making it suitable for elk. 6.5 PRC seems to be the new darling for 6.5 mm enthusiasts. Brass is more readily available for the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 6.5-284. They both work with the existing bolt face from the 270 Win. The 6.5 PRC requires the same bolt face as common magnums like the 7mm Rem Mag & the 300 Win Mag. Have fun with your project.

I have to throw in a vote for 280AI, only because I'm mid-build on one right now and started at a similar place. I also want something for longer range hunting, but also something I can play with at the range for shots out to 1000+. Already have plenty of rifles in the safe that work for both, but just wanted another project (can you have to many?) and that cartridge has always been really interesting to me. I'm going to drop it into a chassis, which will make it totally unique to my other rifles. The optics and chassis setup I've got is light-ish so I can still carry it in the field. We'll see how I end up liking that setup and I'll hopefully get to test how it knocks down a hog in the next few months.

I have a .280 ackley necked down to 6.5. Use 280 Ackley brass Redding bushing die with .290 bushing. 60.4 grn h-1000 pushes 143 gn eldx at 3160 fs 26" pacnor bbl.
using nosler brass primers fall out after 3 loads. Waiting for Peterson brass to be in stock. A 6.5 PRC would give close to same results and easier cheaper to get components. But would loose the unique factor.

Years back I built a rifle for long range shooting. The 6.5X284 was kind of popular with our shooting group at the time. I decided to go 270 WIN in my LA REM700. With a 24" Lilja I came up with a load in very short order for 140 Bergers using H4831 SC. An under max load at 2959 was shooting .35 at 100 yards and at 600 yards velocity is 1975 and energy 1213 ft/lbs. It was the easy choice and a very good decision as I was already set up to load 270.

I'm looking to build a 600yd hunting rifle. I'll be starting with at Rem 700 LA left hand, trued. I'm planning on a 24" bartlein barrel. I'm not scared of wildcats or Ackley Improved either. I reload so, I'll be developing the loads. The current rifle is a 270win, but I'm thinking there is more bang for the buck in LR performance and aftermarket support. Most of my hunting is within 350yds or so, but I'm wanting a reliable option out to 600yds. This will double as range gun for some fun and probably run 2-300rds per year on the high side.

I'm leaning towards a 260rem or 7mm 08 in the LA. These guys not restricted to mag length can be pretty impressive.

I currently load for:
308, 7mm Rem mag, 7mm 08, 270 win, 223
And I have a 6.5 Creedmore on order for my son. We'll be loading for it as well.

Must haves:
-Long Range Support in brass and projectiles, at least in the manufacturing side. I'm not expecting everything to be in stock. (I'm not against fire forming good brass)
-Decent barrel life ~1800-2000rnd minimum
-Enough kinetic energy for deer at 600yds

Would like to haves:
-cross over powders or projectiles to current reloading stock
-Factory ammo options are nice, but not required.
-Something that is powder efficient
-No one ever complains about low recoil...

Feel free to add details of barrel length, twist, reamers, and load data.

Thanks very much for the info!
7mm-08 with 150gr ELDx./ SST with Reloader 26 , 1:8.5 or 1:9 twist. Check out the factory loaded ammo velocities and the energy at 500 yards.

300 PRC, 300 RUM, etc etc.. OMG these are thin skinned whitetail not water buffalo lol. 2000 fps at impact will do the trick with just about anything and just about any bullet will provide good terminal performance at that speed.
Get whatever you want, almost anything will do what you want to do with the right load and projectile.
Get something you will enjoy shooting that won't beat the snot out of you during load development or a day at the range. Something with plenty of common brass and projectile availability.
The less they kick, the better shot you will be. The better shot you are, the further you can shoot. 😊

These long range shows don't show you the gut shot animals they've shot before the one animal they've taken cleanly – or the one that had its leg blown off with the first shot!
I don't know your level of training of competence – so -- if you are capable through training or ability -- please forgive me!
However -- I've shot normally accurate rifles at longer ranges and been surprised at their lack of accuracy at those extended ranges! Unless you extensively target shoot in the same conditions as you'll find while hunting you're bound to wound more than you'll take quickly and cleanly! Just because a certain bullet/load combination is accurate at 100 yards, doesn't mean it'll be correspondingly accurate at 400 or 600 yards!

Therefore 350 yards gets my vote – 400 at the outside!