What bullet for 22" 243 1 in 9.25 twist

mcseal2

I just bought a Savage 11BTH in 243 with the 22" barrel and 1 in 9.25 twist. I will be primarily using the rifle (assuming it is accurate enough) for long range varmints and my girlfriend may use it for deer. She won't shoot past 200yds for deer and is a careful shot, while I may shoot varmints out to 600 or so. I live where the wind always blows, so a good BC is helpful.

What weight bullet should I look at with this twist?

Also what brand/weight bullet should offer the best balance of BC and speed from the 22" barrel?

I have 95gr Sierra matchking bullets I'll use to break the barrel in and will try them, but wanted some other opinions before I start buying other options.

Thanks!

95 berger, 100 grain sierra/horn bt; 95 balistic tip for deer; for coyotes 87, 88 berger; 87 horn bthp or v-max

I use the berger 88gr fb hollow pt out of remington vs 26" barrel with the same twist as you and they shoot great. Sub moa at just over 900 yars consistently. They work great on coyotes but probably too frangible for deer unless you hit em perfect. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.