What bullet for a .280 Rem? 1-9.25 twist.

angus-5024

Like the title say, what bullet would you .280 rem shooters recommend for me? I was thinking the 168 bergers, the 160 Accubond, or the 140 Bergers. I have no experience loading for any 7mm so Im kinda out there just looking at B.C's.

I will be using the rifle for deer ONLY as I use my .338 RUM if there is any chance of seeing elk or moose. I may shoot the odd black bear with it as well.
the limit range wise will be 700 yard, anything farther and I have tools better suited for the job.

I do know that it shoots factory 139 SST's very well (for factory)

I gotta get this gun all figured out so I can tell my wife that I NEED a new project... AKA a 7mm RUM or AM so I can puch some of those perdy new 195 Bergers;)

Another bullet worthy of consideration is the Hornady 162 A-max. It is a great deer bullet. While Hornady says it has a BC of .625 Mr. Litz says it is .599. When I read many articles of guys using this bullet on the net even for elk and moose I decided to give them a try. I shot my coues wt with it this year at 409 yds. It was a high shoulder shot. Bullet expanded enough to make a 1" exit hole. DRT with little meat damage.

Berger just announced that they will have a line of hybrid hunting bullets which might be worth the wait. With the slower twist you are limited to bullets lighter than the 180s.

thanks guys. Anybody using barnes? Any seirra's?

I like Barnes, quite a bit actually. How far do you intend to shoot at game with the 280? That will play a part in a recommendation. If the 280 is a carry gun for you and the plan is to shoot game at distances, say, 400 and under, your choices are wide open. Any flat based spitzer, boat tail, plastic tipped, monometal will do the job.

I'm a big big fan of the TSX/TTSX bullets.

I also like the 150 gr. Barnes in my 280. A friend gave me some 130 gr. Seirra Gamekings he loaded (in 270) to try, I can report that this bullet performed well on a doe at close range (150 YDs) and left an quarter size exit hole. No tracking involved!

Phillip :D

ill be pushing the rifle to at least 600 yards, but if it does really well 700. Ill have to give the A-Max's a go too.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.