What bore cleaner do you use ?!

Keithcandler, no question about the difference on quality between the a.m. borescopes. What matters is that the Lyman is cheaper and is good enough for understanding what the bore says about copper and carbon...

I still haven't seen the need for brushes. I spray the bore down with cleaner, keep wet for at least a half hour and patch clean. Repeat as needed. PB Blaster cuts carbon pretty well. Just let it sit a while. The key is to spray or drown the bore. Patches and brushes don't leave enough cleaner in the bore to be as effective as they could be.

Like it has been said many times-More barrels are ruined from bad cleaning habits than shooting too many rounds.

I cleaned a 7x57 Mauser awhile back for a friend, called him to ask if he owned stock in a copper mine. His excuse was he loaned the rifle to his cousin and he is an idiot. Told him he was an idiot for loaning the rifle to ANOTHER idiot.

Regarding the camera set up, it should be under $200 total when done. I will start a new thread when it is done to report my progress. It will prob make Hawkeye mad, lol

A friend has his set up using a security camera he bought on ebay for under $100

I agree 100%, many barrels have been ruined from bad cleaning habits. Years ago, we used to watch how some of the older benchrest shooters clean barrels, and they all took pride in how they cleaned a barrel, for the most part, and we learned from their methods with what bore cleaners were available at that time.

Don't want to side track the thread, but sort of related. How come folks use nylon brushes and avoid the bronze ones? I would think the bronze ones would do a better job than the nylon ones.
Some of the more aggressive cleaners also eat away at the bronze brushes. There is usually a warning on the label of the ones that do.

Am I dumb for using bore tech carbon remover first and then using bore tech copper remover? Is it better to just use bore tech eliminator for everything?
I do the same. Reasoning is remove the easy stuff first (carbon) and then be more aggressive with the more difficult copper... I guess it does not really matter.

Well after reading all 12 pages I was wondering if I should stop using Sweets? I usually do 3 wet 3 dry and let sit for a max of 10 minutes. Then I oil when it is all done. I remember my dad using butches back in the day but some say the recipe has changed and they took ammonia salts out. Just looking for one solvent if that is possible.

I usually shoot 20-40 rounds at the range and if I am out hunting 1-10 rounds between sighting in/verifying and harvesting. I usually clean after each session but not right after maybe a couple days.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. (I like the smell of sweets lol) but don't want to mess my barrels up. Shooting mainly 6.5cm 300 win and 338win

Last edited:
RckyMtnRutt I still use Sweets in the open air and not in my basement.
I got sick as a dog for several days hand running for using Sweets indoors but after shooting the rifles I bring it to the range I run a patch with Sweets while the copper is still warm and let it sit for 5 minutes and while warm you would be surprised at how much copper I get out and then I run a couple dry patches and then oil until I get home.
I then use K G products and it cleans way faster than Eliminator.Carbon first and then copper solvent.
I have most brands here and some you most likely have never heard of and most all sit unused.
I use Pro-Shot brass brushes and cut my cleaning time in half or more with K G Products.
I do still use Eleminator to make sure the Copper is really gone as it gives blue on the patches if there is a little left,scrub a little more and recheck.
I had a high spot in my 300 weatherby mag so I shot Tubbs final finish through and smooth the high spot out now all good 20 minutes and done.
Still have my original bottle of Sweets I bought many years ago.

RckyMtnRutt I still use Sweets in the open air and not in my basement.
I got sick as a dog for several days hand running for using Sweets indoors but after shooting the rifles I bring it to the range I run a patch with Sweets while the copper is still warm and let it sit for 5 minutes and while warm you would be surprised at how much copper I get out and then I run a couple dry patches and then oil until I get home.
I then use K G products and it cleans way faster than Eliminator.Carbon first and then copper solvent.
I have most brands here and some you most likely have never heard of and most all sit unused.
I use Pro-Shot brass brushes and cut my cleaning time in half or more with K G Products.
I do still use Eleminator to make sure the Copper is really gone as it gives blue on the patches if there is a little left,scrub a little more and recheck.
I had a high spot in my 300 weatherby mag so I shot Tubbs final finish through and smooth the high spot out now all good 20 minutes and done.
Still have my original bottle of Sweets I bought many years ago.
Hell yeah just the information I was looking for. I'll cut way back on the sweets and run it like you do just a patch or two right when I am done at the range. That is very smart. Looks like I need to get some KG stuff as well. Thank you and very informative.

Well, I can save you a ton of patches and a heckofa lot of work and time and still maintain a good barrel life and accuracy! I used to do very much like you: kinda religiously clean the barrel after ANY shooting session, no matter how many shots I fired. But I found a much better way.
What I have learned is this. To break in; shoot 5, pull one for 20 shots. After that, shoot as much as you want. All year if you want. The important thing is NEVER shoot a dry barrel! The "pull one" is the key. That's when you start a bore snake into the barrel, from the breach of course; drip some oil, I use Ballistol, down it and pull through. I also use a "pipet" and fill about a 4th of the squeeze end, thats about all you need, maybe a bit more for big holes. It should leak out ahead of the brush section when you pull it, so be ready to catch it in a rag. That will make a wet barrel (and remove some fouling) to start and shooting will keep it wet. I have been doing this and my rifles apparently love it!
Think about the benchrest shooters routine. They start with a gleeming clean barrel ...and THEN FOUL IT before shooting for record! They wear out barrels very quick, too. An excellent barrel maker gave this method to my gunsmith who gave it to me. I don't use patches nor bristle brushes. The snake has bristles built in. Once a year you MIGHT do the cleaning dance, but only if you see a degradation of the accuracy.