What bore cleaner do you use ?!

To add to the post above:

If you have a barrel that fouls badly, the Prolix will really help or eliminate the fouling.

Fire the rifle or pistol until is hot, hotter than you normally let you gun get to.
This opens up the pores of the metal.

Clean the barrel using Prolix Solvent while it is still very hot, the dry lube penatrates into the pores. Do this a couple times, fouling issue is pretty much gone. Seen this happen many times.

You can buy Prolix from their website or I just order it on Amazon Prime, get it faster.

Also, I keep of big jug of it for my Ultra Sonic Cleaner, does a great job.

JMHO

maf47, I do have Montana Extreme and ISSIo plastic brushes. Here is the problem, look at the size of the bristle. This size bristle can not clean in the corner of the land and bore, this is where the carbon starts to build up badly.

You can actually learn to read false signs, and this has not been a problem for me for 40 years using heavy ammonia products. I use Dewey, Pro shot, and Tipton cleaning rods with their adaptors.

Hawkeye bore scope tells all....not speculation...humbling at times. Clean patches are NOT an indicator of no carbon in the barrel...very, very ill informed way to evaluate your cleaning method. If carbon did not build up and become a hell of a problem, it would not be an issue. Brownell's is having a free shipping day today...treat your self with a Lyman bore scope...

Last edited:
maf47, I do have Montana Extreme and ISSIo plastic brushes. Here is the problem, look at the size of the bristle. This size bristle can not clean in the corner of the land and bore, this is where the carbon starts to build up badly.

Yes, it is something to take into consideration, The size pf the brushes must be bigger in order to reach the inner corners. But then you may need to work back and forth with the rod...

Working back and forth is what we call "short stroking", hard to do this with any kind of quality brush, plastic or bronze bristle. I think you maybe referring to letting the brush exit the muzzle, then pulling back through? Possibly

Of course, we have to remember that bores and various size cases will foul differently, and the number of rounds fired. I clean every range visit which is usually 35-60 rounds or when a barrel starts throwing shots from copper fouling, such as factory 7 Mags depending on the brand and quality of the barrel.

If you take a 7 Rem mag that has been shot 100 times, you are going to stumble using plastic brushes using JB compound. JB on a bronze bristle brush will get the bore clean, and Montana Extreme copper cream is one heck of a non stinking product to use on badly fouled bores.

I wish that everyone reading this thread could get a Lyman bore scope, then become your own expert. You can capture pics of your bore over time and watch the barrel degrade from shooting. At 25x, it will show any bore issues, and then you can relate to how these imperfections relate to accuracy issues, if they do.

Randy, do you add the Prolix into the Ultrasonic bath with which proportion?

MAF47, I use the Prolix straight up, right out of the bottle.

I use one of the wife's glass baking dishes (she hasn't missed it yet, god help when she does, lol) suspended in distilled water.

Never had a problem with it. This stuff works great, especially on auto loaders.

Working back and forth is what we call "short stroking", hard to do this with any kind of quality brush, plastic or bronze bristle. I think you maybe referring to letting the brush exit the muzzle, then pulling back through? Possibly

Short stroking a brush is a recipe for a screwed up barrel! NEVER SHORT STROKE A BRUSH!

I don't even short stroke a patch.

Generally people think barrels are hard, they are not! They are relatively soft, I won a bet one time from a friend debating over the hardness of a barrel and a cleaning rod. I don't remember the exact difference, but on Rockwell test, the cleaning rod was harder than the barrel.

If you short stroke a brush, when the bristles cam over (for lack of a better term), they can put divots in your bore or gouge it.

I have seen brushed get stuck really bad from someone running a brush down the barrel with a short cleaning rod, then try to pull it out..... Makes me shutter.

Randy, hard to short stroke a new or good brush, it will be stuck as you are well aware of. Short stroking with JB on a punch type jag, using patches has been done for a long, long time, concentrating on the throat area to get the carbon fouling out. Never an issue as seen in the Hawkeye of mine, which does not miss much at 25x.

A guy that wraps a patch on a brush can not short stroke, result would be a stuck brush in the bore, with a hell of a job getting it out.

It is helpful to use a Neil jones or Lucas rod guide that has a bushing that fits on the cleaning rod, then this bushing is inserted in the bore guide that centers the rod in the bore.

This will make a lot of people mad, but if you think about it...it is the truth and the truth usually hurts...It should be a requirement for guys that are endorsing bore cleaners and blasting about how great they are to also list which borescope they own.
Kind of like the guy the other day that was telling us how Unertl scopes were assembled...I ask him when he worked there and he got his panties in a knot. He then proceeded to "set things straight" by telling us that he wrote the third most important paper in the world on eyeglass repair and he owns 7 scopes. Well, that certainly qualifies!!!
Whatever you are searching for, you first need a credible witness. I am not saying you cant get a bore clean by scrubbing it enough...you can do that with just a rag and a cleaning rod. What I am saying is that unless you have a way to positively check the inside of the bore then like the guy with the scope...you are guessing.

+1

Again, Brownell's has free shipping on all items...lyman bore scope for less than $200

I have both the Lyman and the Hawkeye, Lyman is a great tool.

Randy, thanks for the tip about Prolix into the ultrasonic bath: interesting. Concerning the Short Stroke I confirm keithcandler: no way to get something like that with a GOOD brush...

About Borescopes: I have a Lyman, a very good compromise with the monitor and record too...

It is horrible that the unit to record on the hawkeye is $1100, the digital image is crystal clear on the hawkeye, vs the digital image on the Lyman. However, for most guys that are casual users, the Lyman is more than good enough!!!

The more people that start using bore scopes, the more we will learn about cleaning methods, etc. There is always more than one way to skin a cat.

A few months ago, I bought an F class barrel from a shooter in 308. The barrel had 600 rounds on it, and I was shocked that the gunsmith was selling it. I will not mention all the soaking solutions I used on the barrel. The barrel was carbon fouled from front to back. Regular scrubbing with a brush did not touch the carbon, wore out two brushes, helped just a tad. Went to work with JB on Brushes, then with a mixture of Al Oxide. I got the barrel crystal clean down to bare metal. This Krieger barrel is smooth, but the owner had a half *** way of cleaning, obviously. Throat in the barrel looked new. Gunsmith can not afford to spend 6 or more hours cleaning a barrel, better for him to put a new barrel on. Customer will learn to clean sooner or later or run out of money.

The barrel is now ready for a new Chamber.