What blew up my gun?

Pretty sure it wasn't metal fatigue or previous cracks. Even with slight overcharging you think you had you never felt a sticky bolt and only show minor pressure signs on the case. The action should be good for tens of thousands of rounds that way.

Looking at the previous fired rounds brass in Page 7, they are all Remington cases.
The original post Page 1 with the barrel appears to show Hornady brass destroyed in the chamber of the barrel. Not real clear in the picture but that is what it looks like.
What other calibers were being shot that day? More than one ammo for more than one gun on a bench or tailgate?
RP

Looking at the previous fired rounds brass in Page 7, they are all Remington cases.
The original post Page 1 with the barrel appears to show Hornady brass destroyed in the chamber of the barrel. Not real clear in the picture but that is what it looks like.
What other calibers were being shot that day? More than one ammo for more than one gun on a bench or tailgate?
RP
Only had a 280 Rem. That wouldn't fit. Had loaded some 22-250 with Hornady brass

Now that you have an address in Canada to send it to You can get info from them as to what their opinion is as to what happened . So when You hear any thing back from them please let us know what they have to say . Thank You

Now that you have an address in Canada to send it to You can get info from them as to what their opinion is as to what happened . So when You hear any thing back from them please let us know what they have to say . Thank You
Will do

Norm. l don't believe this KABOOM was your fault. But respectfully, You will never know until you SEND THE GUN BACK to Savage..

It was, his fault over charge loads, over a period of time caused metal fatigue cracking eventually causing the reciever to blow up this is operator error not gun/component/powder failure

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer to learn from other's mistakes rather than have to pee on the electric fence for myself. Thank you for taking the time and having the gumption to share your misfortune with us. I hope we find out and learn what happened, but until then just glad you came out ok.
RP

It was, his fault over charge loads, over a period of time caused metal fatigue cracking eventually causing the reciever to blow up this is operator error not gun/component/powder failure
you are sure you know what you are talking about (but you can't put enough powder in a 22-250 to blow it up unless it was pistol powder or this was a double detonation ...)

Norm is still reading/visiting the forum. His profile said his last visit here was yesterday @ 11:27PM and most recent post on Nov 24,2019

Went shooting yesterday, shot about 5 shots and on 6th shot this happened.
Reloads from a couple years ago , store in ammo box in a shooting bag.
Rifle is a 22-250 Savage Model 10
Bullets are 55Gn Hornady V-Max
35GN of Varget Powder
Been doing this recipe for approx. 4 years, have never had problem.
No signs of over pressure until this incident, happily no injuries/casualties (except gun,LOL)
Any Ideas out there

View attachment 148591 View attachment 148592
was the temperature high? I have shot loads in cool weather that were too hot when temperatures rose. Was round in your pocket? 98.6 degrees there. Especially sensitive if max or near max load.

I've heard of cold weld. Where older loads bullets get welded to the case increasing pressure.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.