What Gun??????

H2OFUZZ

So i am getting into Long range hunting and think i may not go full bore into a custom gun. So if you were to buy a over the counter gun out to say 700yds what would it be. I shoot a Savage M14 American classic in 300WSM now out to 500yds and LOVE IT. So lets hear some ideas.........

Well depending on your target animals I think your 300wsm is just fine. I too just got into LRH and have a Sav. mod. 11 in 300wsm and this past summer ,have gotten very consistent out too 600 yds with 180 AB's. At the middle of October I discovered that berger 190's shoot even better ,so now once deer season closes in Dec. I can get back out to the farm where I shoot, can't have a centerfire rifle afield in my county during any open season for deer shotgun , muzzleloader and pistol only.

Anyway my point is you can stretch the 300wsm farther then 500 yds. at least on targets and deer sized game.. Good luck and have fun.

So i am getting into Long range hunting and think i may not go full bore into a custom gun. So if you were to buy a over the counter gun out to say 700yds what would it be. I shoot a Savage M14 American classic in 300WSM now out to 500yds and LOVE IT. So lets hear some ideas.........
I have witnessed a 1760 yard shot on a steel plate with a 300 WSM. If 700 yards is your self imposed limit the 300 wsm you already have is more than enough gun to kill anything your man enough to chase.

I'm looking to push my 300WSM to 1100yrds on Whitetails this year if I have to shoot that far. My current load is sub .75MOA on a factory Savage pushing 210 Bergers at 2896 fps avg. Today I was shooting sub .5MOA at 200yrds. Don't doubt the Savage or the 300WSM.

Tank

It will be used on mule deer and Elk i found a Remington M700 XCR II in 300WSM i like an may pick up. My Savage is just to pretty of a gun to beat it up in the woods.

so now once deer season closes in Dec. I can get back out to the farm where I shoot, can't have a centerfire rifle afield in my county during any open season for deer shotgun , muzzleloader and pistol only.

What nazi state do you live in? What if you want to hunt something other than deer, say coyotes for instance?

All I can say is, God bless ND! (for now anyway, we still have SOME freedom)

What nazi state do you live in? What if you want to hunt something other than deer, say coyotes for instance?

All I can say is, God bless ND! (for now anyway, we still have SOME freedom)

I'm going to have to guess Ohio. They have no centerfire rifle laws in that state for deer. Varmints can be shot with rifles.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.