BACK UP GUN/S?

One is none and two is one, so goes the saying. I always have a spare/backup rifle on elk hunts where we are base camped way out, as it's Murphy's Law that will get me if I don't.
Like Salmonchaser said, I can see that being a problem if you get dropped off by a bush plane or a pack horse though.

Theft? Am I the only one that has had their rifle stolen from their vehicle while out hunting? If so, that would be awesome (and a miracle.) A back-up gun sounds wonderful to me IF I had a safe, secure place to keep it. A spare, sighted in scope (with appropriate rings fitted) seems like a reasonable precaution.

But who hunts alone? When my buddy and I were hunting ducks and the Rem 870 action locked up on his gun, we just 'shared' my Beretta O/U. Not as awesome as us both having our own gun, but we still had fun and got some birds. Same would happen on a big game hunt. Someone would have a rifle I could use if mine suffered a fatal failure, and vice-versa. Not as much fun as taking an animal with your own 'favorite' gun, but you're still in the hunt. Unless you hunt alone. Then...the back-up gun sounds pretty good about then.

Just another thought to keep in mind - there ARE gunsmiths around. Rifle goes t-i-t-s up on a hunt, a visit to the local smithy might get you back in the game with only a few hours of lost hunting time. And you aren't leaving a $1000 gun/scope combo sitting in your vehicle while you are hunting, waiting to get 'borrowed' by someone who will never return it.

Good point Frog4aday.
We have a wells cargo trailer that has a very large extra hardened padlock on it and a lock on the wheel and the hitch both.
It's very secure. We store the extra guns, chainsaw and other equipment in it when we are out and about. And a good portion of the time someone is always in camp.

I don't have but a 200 yard range. I sight in at 100 then raise it to a 200 zero. If I am on there I am on at most reasonable ranges. This works to about 500 yards or so. It has worked for me. I use a BDC turret base on factory data works. Real long range, not so much. You gotta do what you can.

I leave my spare at one of my friend's places when hunting Wyoming... or at the cabin when renting a pad. I hunt alone out West, so a spare makes sense. Besides, I pay insurance for a reason... on my guns and my vehicles.
Understandably, a good gunsmith can come in handy... if it isn't 4 a.m. on a Sunday morning or you fell and busted your optics and have to purchase a new one, then find a range to zero.
Lots of variables.
It would be a shame to lose a hunt, or even two days of a hunt after drawing a tag, spend the bucks and 17 hours of driving to get there IMO.

I won't hunt in the rain, snow, etc., with my old Rem 700, 8MM mag. My bad weather back up is a custom Mauser 98 in 7mm-08 with synthetic stock. I take both of em on every trip.

Manitou, if I had a SAFE, secure place for a 'spare' gun, like you describe, I'd certainly bring one.

Not sure about your insurance, but mine has a deductible. Crash the car? I'm out the first $1000. With the guns, I'm out the first $500. That's a painful loss to 'eat' so someone else can enjoy my stuff.

I'm a fan of the "spare rifle" concept. I just question the execution. No gunsmith around? You can buy a gun and scope at the local town, along with ammo, then sight in on a tree stump out in the woods and be back in action. Get back home and sell it and only be out $100 or so.

It's those hunts were you are well and deep into "nowhere" when a second rifle makes sense. But packing in that additional 8 to 10 lbs and 36in to 46in of length gets tricky. Maybe that's when a 'spare' .44 Mag revolver with a red dot on it comes into play? Now you are limited to 100yards or so, but you HAVE a back-up. And you can pack it in on your hip or in a chest rig. Probably won't be great for a sheep hunt though, ha! There is no "easy" plan. All have risks or problems.

Thinking of the old Road Runner cartoons and ACME stuff - perhaps pack in a dehydrated gun, where you just add water. Perfect.
upload_2019-5-11_14-7-28.png

If I'm alone, two rifles. It's 3 hours from camp to the nearest gun shop. It's 4 hours to my gunsmith. If I'm hunting with my partner I know I'm good with his rifle out to 500 yards.

Manitou, if I had a SAFE, secure place for a 'spare' gun, like you describe, I'd certainly bring one.

Not sure about your insurance, but mine has a deductible. Crash the car? I'm out the first $1000. With the guns, I'm out the first $500. That's a painful loss to 'eat' so someone else can enjoy my stuff.

I'm a fan of the "spare rifle" concept. I just question the execution. No gunsmith around? You can buy a gun and scope at the local town, along with ammo, then sight in on a tree stump out in the woods and be back in action. Get back home and sell it and only be out $100 or so.

It's those hunts were you are well and deep into "nowhere" when a second rifle makes sense. But packing in that additional 8 to 10 lbs and 36in to 46in of length gets tricky. Maybe that's when a 'spare' .44 Mag revolver with a red dot on it comes into play? Now you are limited to 100yards or so, but you HAVE a back-up. And you can pack it in on your hip or in a chest rig. Probably won't be great for a sheep hunt though, ha! There is no "easy" plan. All have risks or problems.

Thinking of the old Road Runner cartoons and ACME stuff - perhaps pack in a dehydrated gun, where you just add water. Perfect.
View attachment 133672

Frog4aday, As the scope is likely the weak-link in the system.....cover that prior to leaving home. Put a set of Quick Release rings/base on your rifle. Set-up a decent quality (maybe a take-off ) scope in QR's, zero'd and ready to go. No day wasted traveling to/from town, purchasing a less than desirable scope (that you really don't want) while paying an exorbitant price in Podunk, Wherever..... then use time and ammo zeroing your new purchase. Instead...."flip" a couple of levers, place your back-up on the rifle, "flip" two levers, fire a round or two to verify. An hour spent at camp, and you're back in business!

While my wife and I can use each other's rifle if need be, each of us has a "back-up" scope, ready to go! memtb

Theft? Am I the only one that has had their rifle stolen from their vehicle while out hunting? If so, that would be awesome (and a miracle.) A back-up gun sounds wonderful to me IF I had a safe, secure place to keep it. A spare, sighted in scope (with appropriate rings fitted) seems like a reasonable precaution.

But who hunts alone? When my buddy and I were hunting ducks and the Rem 870 action locked up on his gun, we just 'shared' my Beretta O/U. Not as awesome as us both having our own gun, but we still had fun and got some birds. Same would happen on a big game hunt. Someone would have a rifle I could use if mine suffered a fatal failure, and vice-versa. Not as much fun as taking an animal with your own 'favorite' gun, but you're still in the hunt. Unless you hunt alone. Then...the back-up gun sounds pretty good about then.

Just another thought to keep in mind - there ARE gunsmiths around. Rifle goes t-i-t-s up on a hunt, a visit to the local smithy might get you back in the game with only a few hours of lost hunting time. And you aren't leaving a $1000 gun/scope combo sitting in your vehicle while you are hunting, waiting to get 'borrowed' by someone who will never return it.

This is a valid concern and something I worry about every time I leave a gun tucked behind the seat of the truck. Thankfully I have never had one stolen, but it is definitely a risk you take when you bring a spare gun.

I like Ruger 77s so the integral scope base is nice. I did a caribou hunt one year, we were limited to either 55 or 65lbs of weight going onto the plane; a second rifle was not an option. With that in mind I carried an extra scope, sighted in for the same rifle.

Presently I black bear hunt with an outfitter. Weight really is not a concern, so my son and I bring 5 rifles with us. Why because we can; big truck lots of room! We both have Ruger 77s in 35 Whelen and .358 Winchester, both rifles are sighted in with the same ammunition, all scopes are the same (VXRs 2 X 7) so the same mounting system. I bring the Marlin Guide Gun along, however really do not have a real need for it. The Marlin is one of those rifles that one buys for no other reason than your name was on it that particular day you went in to the gun shop;):rolleyes:! I'm thinking that it would be nice to harvest a bear with it one year. I like both of the 35 cartridges, however I think that if I had only one rifle for bear hunting (or deer hunting within 300 yards) that I could take for the bear hunt it would be the Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70, set up with a Skinner sight system. With that setup you'll have the best of both worlds, scoped and receiver/peep sight. After this dissertation the answer to the OP is yes definitely I always bring a second rifle along and would not think of not taking one.

I feel better now.. that is exactly what I did. I had been thinking of adding a big bore to the collection and walked into a local shop with one hanging on the wall. You know what happened next. It is fun to shoot but....can pack a wallop. I have no real use for it....but that's not the only one in the safe.

bdlesh, Can I assume you got a Marlin GG in 45-70? memtb

Yes it is the 45/70 guide gun. I am the 2nd owner. The first shot it twice and traded for something how do I say... gentle on the shoulder. I have been wanting one for sometime and just stumbled across this one. This is why it's not safe for me to even step foot in a gun shop......and to make things worse.....a good friens of mine is helping out a guy at a new shop locally. I have stopped by twice....and walked out with a new occupant for the safe.....if this keeps up, a new safe will be next

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.