BACK UP GUN/S?

If I'm not hunting my home property I take a spare gun. Often if I'm walking <30min for the hunt I take two long guns with me. Properties I hunt it often makes sense to have a short range and still hunting gun and a long range gun with me.

If I'm going out West I have at least 2 rifles with me, if not three. Never NEEDED the spare out there. However one year after returning back home from such a hunt I took my primary afield the next day and missed a shot wide. I knew I held right so I took a spotter shot and sure enough the 2000 mile ride with the gun cased on its side has screwed up the windage. 20min walk to the truck and I was back in business with a proper rifle.

I take a spare rifle when I go hunting as said Murphy is alive and well.
I have rifle sights on my hunting rifles because of a spare for a broken firing pin, someone forgets their ammo, yes I put ammo in my rifle cases, broken scopes well hunting open country some times a scope is better than my eyes, and who knows what else may happen.
My father was my teacher he served in the U.S.Army WW ll, Korea, and Vietnam retired in 1964. His teaching has stayed with me all theses years. yes I carry a side arm and a day pack, with the needs to spend a night out if that happens.

Yes it is the 45/70 guide gun. I am the 2nd owner. The first shot it twice and traded for something how do I say... gentle on the shoulder. I have been wanting one for sometime and just stumbled across this one. This is why it's not safe for me to even step foot in a gun shop......and to make things worse.....a good friens of mine is helping out a guy at a new shop locally. I have stopped by twice....and walked out with a new occupant for the safe.....if this keeps up, a new safe will be next

I had wanted one ever since Marlin brought out the GG. I finally got one several years ago. I bought dies, and a wide metplat 430 grain bullet mold. I still haven't developed a load....just haven't had the time. Life sometimes gets in the way of the good times! memtb

Re: The 45-70 GG. I have one and love it. It rides well In the truck and there is something about it that screams "take me along".
It's good for taking in the thick brush as well.
I sometimes take it as my second gun, though I like having a second gun in 300 WM to match my primary hunting rifle in elk season.

I bought an older Savage 30-06 with a pretty rough barrel for cheap years ago, specifically to use as a back up. Ran a few firelapping bullets down the bore and now it shoots surprisingly well. I have 200 & 180 Partitions (depending on what I'm using it for) & the dope for both out to 400 yards, so I'm covered if my primary rifle goes down for some reason. I like the security of having a second rifle I'm familiar with as a back up, especially as I usually hunt solo.
Cheers,
crkckr

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.