What Base for 300 wm?

StrutNut

What base should I get for a 300 win mag? I am looking at shooting out to 1000 maybe longer at steel. This is for a hunting rifle. 20 moa? 0 moa? I will either be running a NightForce NSX or a Burris XTR II SCR moa. It all depends on what kind of deal I can get on a used NightForce. I will be doing load development with Berger 215's. The rifle is a Savage LRH.

Thanks!

I think the 20 MOA is the safest bet since you aren't sure of the adjustment range
of your yet to be determined scope, nor do you have firm limits on your planned shooting ranges.

It really depends on what u can get for that rifle...i have an xbolt wester hunter that is one of my main L.R guns..but a 20 MOA base is hard to find for it

It really depends on what u can get for that rifle...i have an xbolt wester hunter that is one of my main L.R guns..but a 20 MOA base is hard to find for it

Yeah,

I saw the EGW as well and was looking at both the 20 and the 0 and was leaning toward the 20 but wanted to make sure. I got time as I am really setting this rifle up for the 2016 season. Thanks for the advice - looks like 20 moa is the winner.

If you go with a Picatinny rail for your scope base I would get the 20 MOA. No good reason not to. If you get the 34mm Burris scope that is about your only option, since most 34mm scope rings are Picatinny style. For the NF scope however you have some other options. I have a NF on my 300 mag with Talley "fixed rings". They are super strong and keep the scope down a little closer to the rifle. They also leave the bolt area nice and clear so its easier to get your fingers in there for single feeding, cleaning, or whatever. Since the NF scopes have 100 MOA of total adjustment you can get to 1000 yards easy without a 20 MOA base.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.