What are your top tips to make me a better hunter?

I hunted in various states in the southwest , but never texas. I have heard that, due to the majority of private land in texas; the more you pay the better the hunting.

1. Get the right equipment for whatever youre hunting. Len Backus has a solid packing list on here as an example. Its in one of his threads.

2. Find an experienced hunting partner you can learn from.

3. Practice, Practice, Practice, and Practice. Whether it be shooting, hiking, game preparation (start on small game like squirrel and rabbits), land navigation, stalking, camouflage, calling...well you get the idea, just practice!

4. Read Field and Steam: The Complete Hunter. I read it and it put all together for me.

Good Luck

I hunted in various states in the southwest , but never texas. I have heard that, due to the majority of private land in texas; the more you pay the better the hunting.

This is true, but it wont make you any better as a hunter.

Time in the woods will. Best hunters i know have been doing it the longest, and stay out the longest.

Thinking back when I was learning the basics I learned the most when hunting with experienced hunters. Not just in the field but sitting around a campfire hearing hunting stories and asking questions. My father hunted deer his whole life it was his passion. He knew where deer would be different times of in all kinds of weather, and I learned just being around him.

So like the others have said if you can find someone that has more experience than you it will help you learn faster. I also learn the most when I or someone in the party fills a tag. The more you see and are part of the better.

I hunted elk this year with my nephew and we were hunting a mountain side that had a strip of trees about 150 yards wide that started at the base and went all the way to the top. On each side of the trees was open sage. We had seen about thirty elk move into the trees and the trick was to see them before they see us. Its hard to teach someone how to do it. You get one chance if you blow it no elk. We had cow tags.
I talked to him, told him to do what I do don't move to fast keep quite and constantly keep your eyes moving. We kept the wind in our favor and started walking. We were crossing back and forth in the trees because I couldn't see the width of the trees without moving back and forth and didn't want to miss them. We worked our way up and about 3/4 of the way I knew we would see them soon (experience). So I told my nephew to stay close and let me know if he see's anything. He was to watch forward and right and I would watch forward and left. There was a spot where I walked in front of him to go between two trees and he pulls me to the ground by grabbing my jacket from behind. I knew he saw elk. The elk were to our right in a little clearing. I could see 7 or 8 of them. I ranged them at 169 yards. It took a while to get us both positioned to shoot and only moving when they were not looking our way. It was down hill to the elk and we couldn't lay down so we put our elbows in our knee's sitting position. Counted to three and both shot, we both connected it was great fun. My nephew learned a lot from that experience. It is hard to see elk before they see you and there is so many things that go into it it's hard to tell someone.

Lastly I have learned useful things by reading about hunting in magazines, like American hunter. The more experience you get the less helpful it will be, but you can learn some basic tendencies about elk, deer, bear or whatever. Sometimes they will tell you about mistakes they made and that can be useful.
There is no nothing that will teach you faster than lots of hunting, any kind of hunting.

hello, when I reflect on my hunting career I found that my eyes where my savior.hunting in north woods was a spot&stalk item.so think I perfected my ways by always observing looking for lateral lines in woods of trees growing straight up.then learning to hit moving targets thru small openings as they bound away!looking for ground sign as u move along and listening all contribute to passing your time and keeping your mind on hunting only.later I learned the secretes to siting all day in a stand.when inopen teraine as out west obervation of wind direction will keep u seeing game.is there anything better than being on the hunt!my god aren't we lucky.

My hunting is mostly for deer on public land. The hunters are usually in the same old spots, glassing from high points and running the ridge lines looking for bucks. I've found a lot of bucks by getting just a bit off the trails and looking into areas that can't be seen from those high points.

Spend time scouting. That is obvious, but few hunters actually do it.

Be patient and learn to glass. I've read some good articles on glassing but the best way to get good is to practice. This year on my deer hunt I saw 9 bucks opening morning. A hunter up the canyon from me shot at a deer, and I later asked him which of the bucks he had shot at. He said it was a little 2 point and it was the only buck he had seen.

Another word about patience: Being prepared will help immensely. Take along things that will make you comfortable, such as something to sit on, snacks, a book, a journal. You're more likely to stay out in the field if you're enjoying it.

I would say get out there and get some kills under your belt. I have many friends that were waiting for the big one and didn't have many kills under their belt screw up a shot on the biggest deer they have ever seen, Because of the lack of the experience that only comes from pulling the trigger.

All of the above advice is great. Digest it all then get out there and spend the time.

However, to insure success I notice that non of the following has been emphasized.

From the top down dress well.

Hat/cap - almost camo pattern

Balaclava - again most any camo pattern will do - the bigger the name as in Real Tree the greater success.

Jacket - ya gotta be real choosey - if you paid less than $250.00 for it no one will listen to your hunt'n stories.

Pant selection - again cost is proportional to success and hunt'n story presentation.

Footware - must be camo pattern, though no animal will ever see them. But you will gain considerable hunt'n cred when story tell'n.

Socks - must be battery powered and again the finest of camo pattern.

Sun glasses - a must to have. and must be worn above the bill of the almost cameo cap. Or even better backwards.

Layers - layers are vital. The base layer is of utmost importance. Get the kind that doesn't grab body hair so you don't have to wax. Then at least 4 layers must be worn to show manly traits.

Gloves - the cheapest brown cotton pair you can find at the local farm/ranch store.

You may wish to tape some camo pattern around the edges of you pick up truck. If you don't have a pick up truck, skip all of the above, stay home and watch the hunt'n channel.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Just say'n...

Always have a steady rest when you go to shoot an animal. This will increase your chances of shooting what you are aiming at.

I think one of the most important things that you can do is make the very most for your time and lean your hunting area like the back of your hand. Many men who may not be the best shooters, consistently bring home the better trophies. As there are many who may be be able to hit an coke can at a thousand yards, can't get within a mile of a game animal. I'm not the best shot out there (although I feel I'm pretty decent) but I kill. Both here in Florida and everywhere I've been out of state. I've learned that your best chance at killing a trophy is generally your first time you encounter it. Just pay attention to those around you that are successful and duplicate what they do as long as it's legal lol. No one ever knows it all and we are all capable of learning something from each other. As far as the best book... I do not know. I like any that supports our great sport and and our right to keep and bear arms. There's also a lot of great advice from others that will be of great help to you also.

Well one tip obviously would be to be proficient with the weapon of your choice. Books, I'm sure they are out there, but I never read them. Not saying they wouldn't help. One tip that I believe helped me was hunting with people that were willing to help me learn. In my case it was my Grandpa and Dad. I now hunt with my Son and Grandchildren. So if you have friends or can make friends that like to hunt and have some experience, if they are willing they can be very helpful. Trial and error is going to be a big teacher. As with lots of things there are lots of different ways to hunt and they don't all work for each individual. And please understand I love to hunt but I don't claim to be a great hunter. Get out there, put your time in and have fun.

Slow and then slower than a little more. Look all a round you after you take 4 or 5 steps.Get your binocs out and look all around.

Mentors. You will find them at local sporting goods stores and your state game agency. You can also find them on facebook forums/groups local to your area. It all depends on the state you live in. Take a weapons/hunters safety class. Purchase a sensible rifle (6.5 Creedmoor, 270 Win, 7mm-08 all pretty good choices for most North American game), probably a Savage package rifle and practice with it. Be patient and pay attention when you are in the field. You will learn very fast if you don't rush things and accept that you probably won't get a deer/elk/whatever on your own the first season out (you might, but don't make so much of it). If you are out west, you need a decent set of binoculars (10x42, maybe 8x42) probably $200-$400 range. In the woods, binoculars not quite as important and stick with 7x or 8x units rather than 10x. Out west, a rangefinder is a must unless you limit your range to sub-200 yards religiously. In the woods or any shot under 250 yards, not so much (assuming you can tell when you are under 250!). Need a good folding/locking knife and study some youtube videos on skinning/gutting/dressing/boning etc. your animal so you don't waste any. As everyone else has said, if you can find a buddy to take you out hunting that is probably the best way to learn. Above all, ALWAYS KNOW YOUR TARGET, be certain of what you are shooting at, know that you can place the bullet where it belongs, and know what is behind and around your target. Your #1 job is to come home safe and to make sure others around you come home safe. Your #2 job is to have a good day in the field. If you get lucky, you will get to job #3 which is to make an ethical, quick kill on your targeted animal. Good luck! Oh, and when you are hunting, my NUMBER 1 TIP: BE QUIET!! quiet, quiet, quiet. Slow down and listen and watch. Go slow and be patient and be quiet!!

Last edited:
Looking for tips to help me be more successful in the field, throw anything out there I have a lot to learn, rifle, bow, rocks it don't matter. If you could only buy one book on how to be a better hunter which one would it be? Thanks, newby
Buy good equipment to start with. Without it frustration is guaranteed.

Focus on the fundamentals of good marksmanship, there are many good instructional videos to be found on youtube.

Read all you can from good sources on ballistics so you can really understand what happens from the time you touch off the primer until the bullet stops.

When you get beyond 300yds, weather and atmospheric conditions start to have a measureable effect. Mastering the Wind is a good book, well worth buying and reading.

Now for the hard part. Always set your shots up to where you can see them through, write down the conditions present and the result. Over time this will give you a step by step better understanding of how it all comes together.

The biggest thing is lots of practice, but you have to practice doing things right so the value of having someone along who can act as your spotter and critique you on your technique and fundamentals, they are invaluable.

When you do have problems post your questions here. This site has more absolutely top notch people with lifetimes of experience who will not hesitate to work with you to figure things out and understand what's going wrong.

Oh, shoot in real field conditions similar to how/where you hunt as much as possible.

That should help.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts