What are your top tips to make me a better hunter?

jhfleming

Looking for tips to help me be more successful in the field, throw anything out there I have a lot to learn, rifle, bow, rocks it don't matter. If you could only buy one book on how to be a better hunter which one would it be? Thanks, newby

Well one tip obviously would be to be proficient with the weapon of your choice. Books, I'm sure they are out there, but I never read them. Not saying they wouldn't help. One tip that I believe helped me was hunting with people that were willing to help me learn. In my case it was my Grandpa and Dad. I now hunt with my Son and Grandchildren. So if you have friends or can make friends that like to hunt and have some experience, if they are willing they can be very helpful. Trial and error is going to be a big teacher. As with lots of things there are lots of different ways to hunt and they don't all work for each individual. And please understand I love to hunt but I don't claim to be a great hunter. Get out there, put your time in and have fun.

Every game animal, season, and weapon you choose will be different. Nothing will replace experience in the woods! Having said that, the 1st post nailed it, find a good hunting partner or mentor and have fun. Being a long range hunting site, I would look for someone in your area to show your the ropes on the long range side. More time in the woods equals more success. Good luck.

It is very hard to kill something from your couch. The days that are the hardest to leave the house are sometimes the most successful.

First of all, be safe. Then be respectful of the game you hunt, the land you are on, and other hunters. Always know where the property lines are....Once you have some success, show the younger generations the joy in it.

Do your homework. Hunt where your odds are in your favor. Trophy animals are taken in the same areas year after year. Hire guides if you can. They will up your success. They are loaded with knowledge and are more than willing to share. Listen up !

1. Shoot
2. Shoot some more.
3. Keep shooting.

I'm always amazed how many hunts are ruined by poor shooting; I saw it again in October. Make your firearms an extension of yourself, and know them to the point that you're never surprised by anything - especially a miss.

Next, use today's technology of online maps, sites and Google Earth to study your hunting area ahead of time. Know the roads, the valleys, the water sources. Know the public land and the private land. Have as much of the hunt planned out ahead as you can. In this way being 1500 miles away from your destination doesn't mean as much as it did even 10 years ago.

Last, spend time in the field. If you haven't correlated how real earth looks compared to Google Earth then your time studying up ahead won't mean as much.

There is a lot of information that can be gained through reading and etc, but the only sure way is through experience. look at the great hunters out there and you will see hunting is a passion and maybe an obsession with these folks. The question is how good of a hunter do you want to be and are you willing to put in the time to do it.

One can only gain so much 1st hand experience so when you start talking to successful hunters and taking advice make sure you understand the advice to a T. Know not only what they suggest, but why they do it as your version of their technique may unknowingly defeat the entire purpose. Understanding the "Why's" will help you develop your own ideas. No matter what everyone hunts a little different than the next guy.

Cherish and appreciate the hunt, not just the harvest. There is something to be learned every time you step in the forest.

Know your weapon! 1000's of people buy a slug gun days [sometimes the night] before deer gun season, chances are if you're buying a gun that late you don't know a whole lot about what you're doing, nor does it give you any time to get acquainted to your rifle/shotgun. Needless to say this results in a lot of wounded and lost game, this lack of preparation IMO is disrespectful to the game and to other hunters.

Other than what was mentioned - Woodsman ship. A great read is Tom Foolery 2000. Its about Turkey hunting but add scent to it and it crosses over to many big game species as well. The secret to me is to be in nature without nature knowing you are there. That is when you see the real magic of whats out there. Learn the aspects of moving silently. How to move and not be seen as well as when to move fast and when to barely move at all. How to control your emotions. Respect. Respect the game, respect the chase, respect other hunters. Like anything else, set realistic expectations and set goals to achieve those. This is a marathon, not a sprint so take your time. Choosing a weapon and practicing is just part of it. Grab a camera and see what you can do in the office season. See how close you can get. See if they know you are there or not.

Lastly, and one that is often overlooked, learn how to cook. From BBQ, to grilling, to casual cooking at home. Its one thing to send meat off to a meat market for processing, its a whole other connection when you are processing and preparing your own. We share recipes and ideas. Real hunters know how to prepare what they kill.

The only thing that can make you a better hunter is time in the field. You don't have to have blood on your hands to have a good day of hunting. Just get outdoors. follow tracks of whatever. Spend time glassing areas. Taking up trapping turned me into a better hunter. Just get out & hike & watch critters. Yesterday I took my 2 Catahoula Curs for a walk along the Snake River here in Idaho. I had my 12 gauge in case I jumped some geese. Never fired a shot but in 3 miles of walking I studied beaver, racoon, mink sign & jumped a nice whitetail buck.
Beats the hell out of the sofa!
Thanks, Kirk

Thanks everyone for your great input. At this time I would like to ask for specifics for example when stalking with an outfitter this fall he had us stop because the cloud cover had lifted which he said would make us more visible to the Elk because we were casting shadows. I thought that was very useful information and the type of information I needed to make note of. Sorry I did not clearly communicate my original question. I did get the bull with 1 475 yard shot which surprised me as I had never shot further than 100 yards before, I live in Dallas and it's almost impossible to find ranges longer than 100 yards let alone be able to shot in positions you will face in the field. Again thanks so much for sharing your experiences. Big John.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts