What are your favorite Elk spotting scopes?

socalhunter

I have only been on one elk hunt and our guide at the Goshute Indian Reservation used a Swaro spotting scope which worked very well. I saw another thread here that praised Leica and Pentax. I was wondering does anyone like the other brands such has say Vortex or Metopia for spotting elk or any big game for that matter? What are your experiences good or bad with various brands?
Thanks
Socalhunter

I use a Swarovski ATS 80 HD and like it very well. It has found plenty of elk for me.

But my all time favorite is the one we used while up shooting with Shawn and Bob Carlock that put the elk on a 42" flat screen from 2000 yards away. That was elk spotting at it's finest.

That Carlock knows how to roll...:D

IMG_0942Small.jpg

IMG_0940Small.jpg

The first question I would ask you is how do you intend to hunt elk? Elk hunting can often times be an all day affair demanding many miles of hiking over some steep country. These situations may present reasons to look at smaller more compact scopes compared to hunting from horses or from a truck with short walks being the norm.

I have a swaro 80HD but almost never take it elk hunting due to the reasons mentioned above. It does make for a very good scouting spotter though.

Scot E.

Great elk Broz what brand of spotting scope was that? Good replies and good question from Scot E.. Living In LA believe it or not The Goshute reservation is about the most economical non canned hunt options for hunting cow elk. Therefore since they use the roads for spotting ( it sure helps to be in shape for the stalk!) a heavy spotting scope is fine. Now if I can talk my son who is in much better shape then I to do an archery rut hunt then I know I would have to cut some pounds out of the equation. I have heard on a previous thread that the Lepould Gold series is a good compromise between weight and performance but I am open to other suggestions.
Thanks for you replies,
Socalhunter

Great elk Broz what brand of spotting scope was that? Good replies and good question from Scot E.. Living In LA believe it or not The Goshute reservation is about the most economical non canned hunt options for hunting cow elk. Therefore since they use the roads for spotting ( it sure helps to be in shape for the stalk!) a heavy spotting scope is fine. Now if I can talk my son who is in much better shape then I to do an archery rut hunt then I know I would have to cut some pounds out of the equation. I have heard on a previous thread that the Lepould Gold series is a good compromise between weight and performance but I am open to other suggestions.
Thanks for you replies,
Socalhunter

Agreed regarding the Leupold gold ring. The HD version would be my choice in that case and is a very, very nice scope and a perfect blend of performance and weight.

If you are looking at the big boys don't overlook the Vortex razor. IMO it competes with the big boys and a much better price point. The ED Zenray is also another one to look at.

If you are looking to spend less the Bushnell Elites are very nice for the price.

Scot E.

I have the pentax 20-60x80 and like it alot. It is long and heavy just like the other quality spotters so all the packing stuff applies. The upside is the pentax is half the price. I compared it side by side with the swaro and lieca and it was real close as far as I could tell. the one complaint I have is the lack of a good fitting eyecup. I just ordered a after market cup and hope that helps.

Kowa Prominar TSN-884 is my choice. There are alot of top notch spotters out there but when you want the best, you now now where to look.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.