What are you looking for?

GunDoc7

This is purely a opinion based question, and I'm not looking for the "right" answer, I'm looking for a survey of the masses. Let's start with an easy caliber for this, something that everyone has and is an overall great hunting round; it can be a .308, .30-06, .270, whatever you want that's not the important part of this. What I'm trying to find out is what else people are looking for in a completed hunting rifle, is extra work like glass bedding and a trigger job a necessity, and do you worry about inletting the barrel channel? What optics and accessories are you looking for? Obviously I'm not listing all the options and I'm sure everyone is aware of them so speak freely. Something as simple as quick breakdown on what price range you are trying to stay in by completion is fine; perhaps a break-down in price range for each add-on and accessory if you have an idea. Lastly if you wouldn't mind sharing your general location that would be an appreciated piece of info as well.

Thanks for the time and interest.
gun)

This is purely a opinion based question, and I'm not looking for the "right" answer, I'm looking for a survey of the masses. Let's start with an easy caliber for this, something that everyone has and is an overall great hunting round; it can be a .308, .30-06, .270, whatever you want that's not the important part of this. What I'm trying to find out is what else people are looking for in a completed hunting rifle, is extra work like glass bedding and a trigger job a necessity, and do you worry about inletting the barrel channel? What optics and accessories are you looking for? Obviously I'm not listing all the options and I'm sure everyone is aware of them so speak freely. Something as simple as quick breakdown on what price range you are trying to stay in by completion is fine; perhaps a break-down in price range for each add-on and accessory if you have an idea. Lastly if you wouldn't mind sharing your general location that would be an appreciated piece of info as well.

Thanks for the time and interest.
gun)
I like them to be pillar bedded; I like Jewel trigger; a good muzzle brake; I like Nightforce or Leupold long range scope; Selinsgrove Pa. I think these are necessities if building a good hunting rifle. Matt

First and foremost...accurate!! That means at least an inch at a hundred or smaller. Then light...six to seven pounds...unless I am sitting all day, then nine or ten are ok..I use mostly Leupold, but also Zeiss and Swaro on my heavier longer range rigs. McMillan stocks are my go to when restocking, which I do if the wood is particularly nice, their Hunters Edge have become my favorite..pillar bedded...that seems to provide sufficient stability for my use. Replacement triggers on a few, IMO, Jewell is by far the best. A good pair of ranging binocs, mine are Leica Geovid 10X. Originally from PA, now retired, bouncing between Northern KY and Southern FL.

I like pillar bedded or bedding block. I have several Jewel triggers but would sooner have 2 Timney instead of one Jewel. I like rifles that are 9 lbs. or so as I shoot a heavier rifle better. There are several good stocks available and want mine to be synthetic. I like Leupold or Huskemaw scopes. DCT is a must to shoot long range along with a range finder.

just saw this post, so i figured i would give my input.
i seem to always be on a budget so i have to sacrifice a little on the expense of the rifle, i will always pillar and glass bed the stock and put a timney trigger on them. that will give me a better shooter out of the gate. then i usually use Leupold scopes, they are fantastic scopes in my price range. i will also add a bi-pod and an anti-Kant device (bubble level) to the scope. i figure if i can shoot under an inch at a 100yds im accurate enough, but i always take time shooting at longer distances to get the practice.

For me it's a wood stocked model 700. Remove the speed bump, adjust the factory trigger, add a decent 3x9 i can afford in a set talleys. I'm a woods hunter,so this kinda settup rarely see's action over 200yds, but is capable of longer pokes.

I can see the way I hunt is a little different that some here...

Action:
Left Hand/Long Action Defiance, Bighorn, Borden etc No more Remmies for me (unless I find one stupid cheap). With a Jewell trigger hung underneath, I tried one Timney, it is now sitting in my junk drawer collecting dust.

Cartridge:
(Since this is in the Deer Hunting Section, I will assume our intended target is deer).
6x 284, 6.5x 284, 26 Nosler, 300WinMag or 300 RUM.

Barrel:
Obermeyer, Bartlein, Brux, Muller Works etc Fast twist Sendero to MTU/AMU contour (heavy) Spiral or straight flutes; an effective muzzle break will be installed at an OAL no shorter than 28".

Stock:
Un-inletted McMillan A-5 first, Un-inletted Manners second; after that I may consider a Chassis system (AI, XLR, McRee etc). Cerakote finished (insert random Camo pattern).
- Mag System.
-Depends on caliber, Maybe H-S DBM, or single shot follower.

Optics:
Murphy Precision, NightForce, USO, Badger Picatinny rails only, at least 20moa.
American Rifle Company M10 Rings.
NightForce NXS 5.5-22x50 w/MOAR, USO T-Pal, EREK 5-25 W/MDMOA

Send all parts to LongRifles Inc. So Chad make a perfect CNC model of MY barreled action:

6-284 CNC Diagram.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

Bedding will look like this:

6-284 Bedding.JPG

Finished Rifle will look something like these:

6-284 Pic.jpg

6.5 Range Day - USO(1).jpg

It doesn't get much better than that :D

t

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.