What would you pack for a day hunt?

OMG do you guys live and shop on RODEO Drive?????? it's a Frigging hunt, a rifle, Knife and some water. what's with all this fancy *** crap? range finder??? Vest to carry all the crap you don't need, did you guys forget your TV so you can watch the big game? Learn to shoot your gun make sure your knife is sharp and go find an animal to kill. , field dress it and thwor it over your shoulder to pack it out. hopefully you'not shot a Bambi so it takes you a couple of trips in and out. GROW UP and become MEN.

I thought it was pretty funny only being a mile away from the truck too. I hunt wilderness areas and always throws some stuff in the pack in case I get lost or hurt or have to spend the night. Even then, I am packing pretty basic for a day hunt. If I am feeling high maintenance I throw my mini mo and a mountain house in the pack to treat myself...lol. Otherwise its a kill kit, First aid kit, lighter, optics, some ammo, Jerky, water, and layers. Oh - and my inReach. All in my kuiu 3600.

It all depends on where you live and hunt . Where I hunt it's 20 to 30 miles from any ones house above 8000 feet , mountainous rough country no GPS or cell service . I let people know where I am going and when I should be back keep an eye and ear out for bear as well as lion and really don't care what some people think of what I pack with me . I don't plan on going out and need to be looked for but each to their own I do live in the United States of America where we are all welcome to have an opinion and as long as you aren't putting any ones life but yours at risk do as you please with your life and I will do the same and not belittle you for it .

OMG do you guys live and shop on RODEO Drive?????? it's a Frigging hunt, a rifle, Knife and some water. what's with all this fancy *** crap? range finder??? Vest to carry all the crap you don't need, did you guys forget your TV so you can watch the big game? Learn to shoot your gun make sure your knife is sharp and go find an animal to kill. , field dress it and thwor it over your shoulder to pack it out. hopefully you'not shot a Bambi so it takes you a couple of trips in and out. GROW UP and become MEN.
OOOORRR, carry what you want. We had a guide line to follow in my Company in the Marine Corps. "If I can eat it, shoot it or F&%* it I'll hump it. On our day hunts, or night hunts I always brought a couple MRE meals broke down to the main meal and desert - the issued ammo, smoke, grenades, demo, and com - water and combat gear (MOPP gear, gas mask, deuce gear etc.). So a day hunt now without the combat load I can carry the glider rocker, pony keg, and bar-b-Q and still have room in the pack. It's easy to hunt all day if you are comfortable and enjoying yourself. Heck, sometimes I even shoot something!

No big deal to grab a few extras. I told the story where I jumped out of the boat in Alaska to stalk a moose we saw in a bay. I had nothing really, left my pack in the boat since I was just going a little way. I ended up several days turned around. I would've killed for a bic. I hunt wild places so I dont go without a day pack of sorts.

My #18 post on thus thread all fits in a small water proof bag that I shove in my cargo pocket. It's just insurance. If I'm in a place with no trails or I'm not familiar with, then I'll carry a map and compass. I try not to over do it with gear. If I have to carry a bag these style camel backs are sweet. Small, holds a lot of water, has extra pockets for ammo, matches, lights, knives, and a blanket or top or extra socks.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Gun, my Knife, water bottle, maybe short rope/Paracord & snacks for energy if I plan on walking far. I can't remember the last time I had to spend all day looking for Deer, 50 years ago maybe. I'm usually done by 1 pm.