What am I doing wrong?

Agunner012

I have a Savage BVSS in .308, it shoots nicely. After a shooting session 60 rounds I clean the rifle. I used hoppes #9, and get a lot of carbon out, patches are nearly clean when I am finished. I am soaking and patching no brushes. I then patch any excess cleaner.

Next I fill the barrel with Wipe Out, about 3 hours later I give it another squirt. (According to the W/O directions you don't need to brush the barrel!). I allow it to sit over night and patch it out. I might get a tiny bit of carbon, very small amount, but never any (copper) blue! I have even tried the W/O accelerator, with the W/O for a second 24 hr application, still no copper!

I can't believe that a factory Savage barrel doesn't copper foul.

One thing I do is I coat the barrel with lock ease before I fire the first round. Could that layer of graphite be protecting the barrel from copper fouling?

Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I have a Savage BVSS in .308, it shoots nicely. <snip>

I can't believe that a factory Savage barrel doesn't copper foul.

<font color="blue">One thing I do is I coat the barrel with lock ease before I fire the first round. Could that layer of graphite be protecting the barrel from copper fouling?</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmm, Interesting.

The shoots nicely part is good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Is all graphite gone after cleaning? What does the bore look like after cleaning?

Maybe you're on to something good, maybe not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Try it w/o the graphite and see what happens........

What would be the difference between lock ease and Moly???

Interesting.....

I got that tip from a varmint huntner/match shooter. He stumbled upon it on another message board, and swears it protects the barrel, cuts down copper fouling, and reduces fouling shots after cleaning.

As far as I can see the barrel looks fine, I don't have a bore scope to confirm, but don't have any problems. It's just that not seeing any copper is confusing the hell out of me!

Thanks

[ QUOTE ]
It's just that not seeing any copper is confusing the hell out of me!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd loose no sleep over that. Heck as they say, don't look a gift horse in the mouth, don't shoot the goose that layed the golden egg, etc.

Just keep shooting and watchin' and keep us posted on long term progress.

If you really would be more comfortable with copper fouling, I could send you a barrel to fill your needs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks Roy..............I am going to see how this graphite works on a new .308 M700, just to make sure its not a fluke! I will post results.

Thanks

I run a clean patch to within 1/2" of the muzzle and with the sun at my back (sometimes sun is scarce 'round these here parts)and shining on the crown take a peak. Copper stands out nicely. If you don't see any maybe it isn't there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Festus

Agunner012

Another way to check for a clean barrel ,is to push a cotton bud about 3/8" into the muzzel,this is the best quick way of checking I have found.All though first you have to take the other end out of your ear first. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I wonder if this could have a similar effect to moly-coating the bore? I really like that graphite powder for use on the internal part of bolts and bolt raceways, as opposed to oil because of oils tendency to gum up with powder residue...

well I followed kiby's advise about breakin on my 7mm AM he built did alot of cleaning during breakin, now with 70 rounds down the pipe I have never saw a hint of copper on any patches, some carbon but nothing blue.
JS

James, I would almost expect that with a high quality tube such as one that Kirby would use. My barrel is a factory Savage barrel, I think the Graphite might have something to do with it. I was hoping someone else had similar results with graphite, or maybe it was the luck of the draw.

Thanks

Graphite is an abrasive. Why are you putting it in your barrel? Lots of precision mechanical things have been ruined by people squirting graphite in them.

Hi Bart B

[ QUOTE ]
I got that tip from a varmint huntner/match shooter. He stumbled upon it on another message board, and swears it protects the barrel, cuts down copper fouling, and reduces fouling shots after cleaning.

----------------------------------------------------------

As I mentioned in a previous post, and I did some searching on the internet re: the subject. What I read sounded good, a few guys said conditioning the bore with lock-ease just about eliminated copper fouling. I really have no way to prove the above statement, but in my cleaning routine I am not getting any copper.

Thanks for the replies!

Ive never notticed graphite to reduce copper fouling, but It sure does seem to help settle down tempermantal barrels that take a few rounds to "settle down" after cleaning.

Its also worth noteing that there are several powders out now that are incorperating graphite into their composition due to research that this helps to reduce throat erosion caused by burning kernels of powder flowing into the throat

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.