Am I Missing Something?

Don't know where I've been, but I didn't realize Cheaper Than Dirt sold guns.

Seems like guns are the only things cheap there these days and they're only cheap via mail order. The brick and mortar store is about the same price as any other gun store.

One more question. Gonna order the gun this week for sure though. gun)

I was planning on a Ken Ferrel 30 MOA base with an SWFA 5-20 but have decided to go NF 5.5-22x56 instead due to more vertical adjustments and the zero stop feature. I think I can live without the FFP retical.

So should I still run the 30 MOA base? Or would a 20 be alright? Honestly I'm still leaning towards the 30.

One more question. Gonna order the gun this week for sure though. gun)

I was planning on a Ken Ferrel 30 MOA base with an SWFA 5-20 but have decided to go NF 5.5-22x56 instead due to more vertical adjustments and the zero stop feature. I think I can live without the FFP retical.

So should I still run the 30 MOA base? Or would a 20 be alright? Honestly I'm still leaning towards the 30.

Going with NightForce is almost always a good decision.

Shooting a 308, go with the 30moa base. If nothing else, it means you will have more 'up' in your scope. When the opportunity for the 2000 yard shot presents itself, you will be ready!

Just as an update for you guys who were so kind as to help me out with this I'd like to say I've had the gun for a few weeks now and I'm quite pleased. I've gotten some pretty impressive groups so far. In my ladder testing with my best group was just under 2.1" at 300 yards with a 150 Nosler B-tip over 42 grains of H335 off the bipod @ 2839fps. I've just starting to work up a Varget load with the same bullet but I really need a better scale now.

The gun is driving Federal "Blue Box" between .7 and .9 inches at 100 so that's hard to complain about too.

I think with a little more load development and some more practice on my part I'll have a nearly 1/2 MOA gun.

I've decided to ignore the 180 grainers and move straight to the 208 A-max once I've got a good 150 grain load worked up and developed some more skills. gun)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.