What age do you think kids should start shooting?

My son is only 3months old but I find myself day dreaming of the days he will start shooting with me. I don't want to start any kind of moral debate here. I'd probably start him with a pellet gun and then move on to 22lr. Of course he would learn all about proper gun safety and such. Just curious what you all think is an appropriate age?
Both my girls started with pellet guns at 4.5 years

My son is only 3months old but I find myself day dreaming of the days he will start shooting with me. I don't want to start any kind of moral debate here. I'd probably start him with a pellet gun and then move on to 22lr. Of course he would learn all about proper gun safety and such. Just curious what you all think is an appropriate age?
well I started shooting at age 4, we had a few 22's and that's what I started with and have been shooting now for 59 years, started Hunting on my own at 7 with my BB Gun and 22. just Birds & Rabbits back then

My two oldest were shooting at around 6. They started hunting at 9, and both still like to shoot/hunt a lot today (20 and 18). My third child wanted nothing to do with shooting. She finally started going out with us last year at 12. Not sure if she wants to hunt but she is thinking about it. My youngest started shooting at 6, but I wasn't comfortable taking him hunting until last year at 10.

Every one was different with what they were comfortable with and my progressing comfort level with them. They needed different reminders at different times. Just treat them accordingly and all will be well.

It depends on the kid. My kids both started with their cricket and Rascal 22's as soon as they could hold them up which was around 3 or 4. My kids are now 7 and 10. My oldest (daughter) has killed 2 turkeys and a pile of rabbits. My son got his first turkey and a raccoon this year. Lots of rabbits and no telling how many birds out of the yard with a BB gun. I think it's all in maturity level and how much exposure they get. I am fortunate and live in a place where it's no big deal to run out and shoot a little . In other places kids may not have the same opportunities and it might be a little later before they are ready

It sounds silly but my dad started me out with a Roy Rodgers cap gun just as soon as I was able to strap it around my waist. I was taught every safety rule there was with that cap gun. Of corse back in those days there were still crazy Indians hiding everywhere 😂. It was my experience and I still believe it wholeheartedly that every kid should start with a single shot. Make that first shot count kind of thing. Just an old man babbling.

I often ponder the same question with my three-year-old. I think the best age is not a hard fast rule I think it should be when your kid is able to take direction and listen to you and understand what you're telling him or her. They need to understand That guns are dangerous, and they need to understand and be able to listen when you say don't put your finger on the trigger until you're ready to shoot. If they could do that at three years old then teach them with the BB gun but if they can't do that until the eight years old don't start training them until they're 8. I think that's my way of thinking with my son.

mine started with a bolt action 22 at 5, then a 300 Blackout at 6, then at 7, he went to Africa with my wife and I last summer and had been practicing with a suppressed 6.5 Creedmoor and is a pretty good shot out to 300 yards with it. The supressor definitely helps with the recoil and with it being quieter there's no flinch from the sound. He decided he wasn't ready to hunt while we were over there and I was ok with that, you definitely don't want to rush them. He does love hunting with me every chance he gets and I can't wait for the day that he takes his first animal.

My dad started teaching us gun safety at 4. We were shooting 22's at 5. We shot only under supervision til we were 10 then we could hunt rabbit and squirrels by ourselves but only on grandpa's and one of his neighbors farms. I raised my son the same way.

A lot of great advise. Looking back I would have rather we wore ear protection (I hear ringing in my ears all the time) and I could have passed on shooting 30-06 SPFD A3O3's and 8mm Mauser battle rifles with steel but plates as much as I did.

My son started with a 10/22 cut to fit him at age 5. By 6 he was wanting to get in the deer woods so I stepped him up to a 223 and then a 243 over the next year. Killed his first buck at 7. He got a little scope bit the first time he shot the 243 and I thought I ruined him. He powered through though. He is almost 19 and has bagged a buck every year since then. Best feeling in the world experiencing that first kill. I might have teared up a bit.

Both my boys had Daisy pellet guns at 6/7. They shot those a ton with emphasis on safety. 22lr for my oldest around 8 and he moved to centerfire quickly after that around 11. Killed his first deer at 12 with a 300 blackout and has been piling them up with a 308 since. Youngest decided he liked archery better which has worked out well as I hunt mostly bow. Separate practice / time with each

Don't discount 308 as a great entry centerfire for youth if you handload. 110gr Barnes or 125gr AB with a moderate charge is a great deer rifle and doesn't punish badly

I was hunting with a .410 single shot at about 7-8 cleaned a lot of snow from the barrel but hey gotta start some time. I had my son shooting an air rifle in the basement at 5 had a small rest he was shooting prone had a ball

Recent Posts