What about the 338-378?

steelshooter

338 seem to be the favourite long range caliber right now, either Edge or RUM mostly.

I wonder why more people don't buy a Weatherby Accumark in 338-378? How does it stack up against the former? It is available as a factory rifle and has a good strong action to work with later on if you wish to change.
For a beginner, wouldn't it be a good affordable one to start with?

You make some great points of the Accumark rifle. They are offered from Wby in 338 Lapua as well now.

I believe the initial purchase cost of the Accumark vs. the Sendero has made the later a more popular factory rifle to build from.

I like them Wby's :D

++++'s for the 338-378 Wby Accumark as a factory LRH platform

+.580 bolt face
+big strong 9 lug action
+built in recoil lug
+short 54 degree bolt throw
+very high quality in terms of internal/external machining tolerances as compared to other factory actions
+3.815 COAL internal mag box
+Factory +1 capacity floor plate mag box available
+Near/Murphy precision make HQ picatinny bases
+Factory trigger can be tuned to a clean/crisp 1lb for minimal $$$'s by the right smith
+Timney makes a great trigger if you want to hang an aftermarket one on there
+muzzle brake
+10-11 lbs ready to hunt with optic
+H-S precision /Bell Carlson stock with aluminum bedding block

------'s

-Might have a harder time finding a gunsmith with the tooling, knowledge/expertise, and confidence to put thier name and a precision guarantee on a rifle built around the Mark V action.
-The accumark stock forend shouldn't be opened up to more than a #4 contour, or it might lack the rigidity to shoot off a bipod
-No detachable mag system available
-High up front purchase cost in comarison to a Sendero etc
-Aftermarket stock selection is limited. McMillan builds just a handful of stocks for the Mark V. Manners none :(
-Some have went through extractors....My three Mark V builds (338 Excalibur, 338 Lapua Mag Ackley Improved, and 30-338 Lapua Mag Improved) haven't broken one yet in 500-600 rounds total for all three rifles.

The beauty of the 338-300 RUM and 338 RUM is that they have the power to get the job done cheaply. That is why they are so popular.

The 338-378 wby is by far the better rifle and the one I shoot most long range. It will outperform the other two by a solid 200-300 fps depending on the individual rifle and is an incredibly accurate cartridge easily capable of taking out 1 mile plus targets. There is really no comparing the two. You are going from the low end big 338's to the high end with these two. The only knock on the 338-378 wby is you need a mk 5 action donor or a custom. Both are expensive. Brass is $65 for 20. Better brass than the RUM's but way to costly. But for the guy like me who spends quite a lot of money hunting all over North America every year the cost of the rifle and brass is negligible. Just like the cost of the 225 grain .64 bc Cutting Edge bullets I started shooting in it last year at 3500 fps. The Mk 5 accumark rifle chambered in 338-378 is by far a better production rifle for long range hunting than the remington. The cost is the issue. Many times you can find a good deal at cabelas in the used gun department on the accumarks.

Run the ballistics on that compared to a 300 grainer at 2800 fps and you see why I shoot what I do. When I spend the kind of money and effort to put myself in position to get that one opportunity at a once in a lifetime trophy the cost of the rifle and brass are negligible. I want the best opportunity to take the animal.

Like the Mcmillan EOL Outdoorsman rifle I have been shooting and hunting with toward the end of this year. It provides top 1000 yard accuracy in a hunting weight rifle that weighs 7.75 pounds. I can backpack that all day and carry it anywhere. It is a top custom rifle and they cost more. But what did it cost me to put myself in position to take that trophy? Now I have the best opportunity to take that animal.

Great reply Long Time Ranger! The 338-378 is superior and Weatherby Actions are great out of the box actions. McMillan has a few stocks that will fit now including the A5!

I have been mulling over the ballistic apps and charts and unless you are shooting at 1,200 yards plus the 250ish grainers have a clear advantage in drop and very close in windage. I just ordered a box of the 285 grns Hornady Match and look forward to seeing if I can safely get to 3,000 fps (your experience would help). I agree compared to the cost of travel/hunts/etc. . . bullets are cheap. Looking at the Barnes as LRX as well.

I also wonder why the 378 Weathby is not more popular, other than it bites harder than any rifle incuding a 500 NE I have shot? Thinking of rebarelling another Weatherby to 378 Weatherby and extending the range.

My 28" barrel will get 3060 fps with the 300 grainers so 3000 with a 285 is no problem. The Barnes 265 grain has a higher bc than listed and is an excellent choice also. The 260 grain cutting edge is .76 bc. Run the nimbers on the 225 grain cutting edge at .64bc and 3450 fps and you see why I shoot it. Talked to Barnes at the shot show and they are using doppler to get exact bc's for there bullets. They have always listed them to low.They will be putting out exact bc's over time but they said it will be a long process.

The 350 grain SMK turned on my 378 wby. I saw a cutting edge 375 bullet at the shot show that has an amazing bc and is what I am going to in that one. All the way home from the shot show I thought about a new 378 wby barrel specifically for that bullet.

Weatherby is really trying to build rifles the market wants, the tactical .338-378 is a great looking rifle. The costs are a bit higher but you are getting a well build semi custom rifle with a company that has exceptional customer service!

I have a few questions for you.

1) are you using the traditional Weatherby free bore when setting up a barrel?

2) do you know or care how far off the lands?

3) any smith recommendations its hard to find one with Weatherby experience or that will even do it?

4) any particular barrel maker preference?

5) are you using a factory chamber spec?

Sorry to hijack posting.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.