What about .270 Winchester?

One caveat regarding .270 with the usual 1:10 rifling.
It will NOT stabilise monolithic copper or other non lead bullets of 150gr or greater.
I wasted time & money on trying to get Barnes & a European manufacturers' 150gr offerings to shoot & they don't, period.
You need 1:8 & that in turn doesn't work with 90gr varmint bullets.
Use 130's we find that weight ideal and best compromise or 140 Partition

I have a few .270 .. love them , have taken tons of game with them, the balistic tip 150's are a death pill for whitetail. Take a look at the Remington 700 mountain addition light weight work horse.

I knew this thread would have some passionate messages 😆.

What bullet weight/style would you recommend for northern whitetail at ranges of 300 yards or less?

Anyone care to send some general loads they prefer?
I run H100v powder with Nosler BT150's and 130 crushes white tails.

What bullet weight/style would you recommend for northern whitetail at ranges of 300 yards or less?

All the 270s I've ever owned loved 130 grain pills and my preferred powder is H4831, my brother always liked imr 4350 with his 270s but we both shot 130 grain bullets and many many whitetail deer fell to these rifles out to 400 yards and way more times than not it was bang flop and I can honestly say that I never lost a deer that I shot with any of my 270s Remingtons in model 700 were my favorite although I had a 760 pump 270 that was absolutely a killing machine I just didn't like the trigger on the 760

Remington BDL 270 win under $1000 new

Attachments

• IMG_8454.jpeg
    IMG_8454.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
I never really understood some of the different pressure standards across similar cartridges.

Even though I can explain it, I'm not sure I fully understand either, haha.

Since the brass case of the cartridge cannot contain the pressure of ignition, it functions as a gasket so that the ACTION can contain the pressure.

There are some old (and autoloading) 30-06's out there that were not designed for 'full power' modern loads, thus the 60kpsi standard on 30-06 ammo.

Remington introduced the 280Rem with their M740 autoloader. It is said that the SAAMI limit was set at 60kpsi to accommodate that action (even though the M740 was offered in .308win which has a 65kpsi saami limit, so, hmmm...)

Like the .308win, the .270Win has a 65kpsi limit, similar to most modern cartridges.

All things being equal, according to quickload, the difference between 60kpsi and 65kpsi is about 125fps. We are not talking about huge differences here, it is interesting to note that ~8% more pressure only yields 4% more velocity.

I worked hard on this post and now question if a photo of my .270 may have been a more appropriate contribution 😜

Just shot 3 270's today. Browning Stainless Stalker with Boss, a 1953 Savage LH 22" & an 1st run Remington 7600.
Same loads out of all 3.
The 7600 had the highest velocity with 130's Hornady Sst, 3020-3045, 4831SC The Browning equaled the old Savage,, ( both @ 3000 or just Above) and the 7600 at 2930-40 WITH 145 blem i think eldx, 4831ssc mag primer, and the Browning & Savage @ 2900 strong,
All loads shot into a cluster which is very typical for this Grande ol' Cartridge
Next is a Browning BAR safari II W Boss & a 760 LH
Funny the Abolt w Boss Didn't give up any velocity
The BAR with Boss runs right @ 3050 with Hornady Superformance 130 SST
Both Browning's are 20" pipes, 22" after Boss
Now if I can get an Abolt Stainless Stalker LH in 280............🙏 🙏 🙏

my son has used 270 from his first day hunting. ADL Remington in 270 then trading up to WHBY Vanguard 270. his load is 54.5 grn of H4831. tried some JackOconner loads but I got them out of a 1978 issue of Petersens Hunting and when i looked them up in latest Nosler guide they were very HOT. I had used them in my Rem 700BDL and had no issue but didn't want to risk harm to my son. His go to load for ND whitetail----150 grn Nosler Ballistic Tip 54.5 grns of H4831. Best of luck.

So I have been thinking about adding a .270 Win to the safe. The reason being during the ammo shortage you could ALWAYS find it on the shelf locally. I mean everyone had it and lots of it. When .308, 30-06, and 300 Win Mag were all gone there were boxes off .270 everywhere.

So what is everyone's opinion on the old .270? I'll be looking for a moderately priced hunting type rifle. What barrel length, twist, and all of that? Any certain make or model you recommend in the $1000 or less price range?

Also, I'll add- the ability to purchase factory ammo now has way more influence on me than ever before. I have tons of bullets, brass, and powder. The problem is that primers are tough to find and expensive!
I'm building a rifle in 270Win as we speak! This will be the second 270 I've owned! The first one shot great and it looks like this one will too!