What 22cal would you build?

I am usually a bit behind the curve on this, but I built a 224 Valkyrie that is laser beam accurate with the 88 gr.ELDs. my thoughts on experimentation would be 22 Creedmoor or 22-250 / AI with a 7 or 8 twist for heavies. The GTs and the Grendel sound interesting, but I look at componenet availability as a metric and all things considered the 22-250 to me seems to be the best bet.

30-06 necked down to 22 cal
I remember about 50+ years ago there was a company making ammo for the 30.06 with a sabot .22BT bullet.
I always thought they stopped making because there was no forensic evidence if this ammo was used to shoot someone. No rifling or barrel metal on the bullet.
Real reason was maybe it didn't work well. Anyone remember this AMMO???

What 224 caliber would yall put together and why? What would the "build sheet" look like?

This rifle will be used to fling +70gr bullets into hogs and coyotes out to about 800yds. Coyotes will not be used for fur.

I have 1 223rem tikka and I really like it but it's pretty bland. Im thinking about building/putting together something a little faster in velocity and with a faster twist barrel for the higher BC bullets. I'm also tired of feeding retumbo and RL26 and magnum primers into my magnums just to kill hogs.

My father has a 220 swift.
Hunting partner has a 22-250
I had a 223ai but sold everything for it. I'm just looking for something more than a 223 and that doesn't need 70gr of powder.

I'm basically starting from scratch and looking for ideas.
What are you going to use it for-Hunting/target/???
If hunting what are you shooting?

I remember about 50+ years ago there was a company making ammo for the 30.06 with a sabot .22BT bullet.
I always thought they stopped making because there was no forensic evidence if this ammo was used to shoot someone. No rifling or barrel metal on the bullet.

This stuff??

I'm with Varmint Hunter- 22-243. I use an 1:8 Shilen ratchet rifled 26" barrel, shooting 88 ELDMs at 3350-3400 and it is very accurate with around 1k rounds through it. I used a donor Savage action and the prefit barrel with the .250" neck with cheap/plentiful Winchester brass. No fireforming, but I do turn necks. It's been a fun, relatively cheap laser beam that hits steel at 1200 at 1 moa. I'm sure that cartridge would anchor a hog or a yote at 800 with at least 400 ft lbs at 1460 fps (at 6000 ft altitude where I shoot)

This stuff??

Something like that. I didn't see this post. I just remember when I was about 14 years old (1960s) I got a 30.06 cartridge. It had a I think a red plastic sabot with a .22 (florescent green/yellow) ballistic tip.
Thanks

I think it was Remington that made the Accelerator cartridges. And it was kinda gimmicky. And yes they were very expensive and the accuracy was pretty bad. There were a bunch of handloaders at the time experimenting with different cartridge caliber combos. I suppose the idea was to be able to shoot varmints with deer calibers. I would think if it worked good they would still be around?

22GT Alpha stamped brass or Hornady 6GT brass necked down. Both great choices and available

I've got an 18inch Bartlein carbon throwing 88 ELDM's at 3030fps with staball powder.

75eldm and 88 Eldm absolutely murder coyotes and deer . Great bullets

Can't go wrong with a 22 Creedmoor either

Back in the day my buddy purchased a box "Escalator's" I think ?? it was called in 30-06.
We could not get it to site in at all at 100 yards. Twist rate might mean something hear, we didn't know back then??
I did purchased some of the sabots and still have them, one of these days I might do something with them again!!
I hope somebody else chimes in!!

Len,
They are alive and well here:
WOW
What a way to be a sniper to shoot something and bullet can't be traced unless you find the sabot!

@DUCKMAN11 I'd look at the 22 Creed - 7 twist.

Made my way through lots, 223, 223 Ai, 22 Nosler, 22-250, 22-250 Ai, I was fortunate enough to spend time with a good friend around the 22 grendel (this is a fun one) - but for the working man that just wants to grab and go - I'd go with the 22 Creed.......Flat out EASY button!

With your tikka being a good donor here, simply swap the bolt out and have a reputable smith spin you up a barrel. (22 creed is super fun w/18-20'' suppressed.)

Last edited: