What’s your five? 5 Calibers to do it all...

I have no idea if I've posted to this thread or not. Maybe my answers have changed.

Assuming pistol, shotgun, and .22 LR needs aren't included, I'd go with this:

.22-250 - for little critters
.260 Rem AI - for antelope through sheep, the vast majority of NA game
.300 WM - for deer through moose, most African plains game, and cats
.375 H&H - for bears, eland, moose, and perhaps buffalo
.416 Rigby - for buffalo, hippo, and elephant

Number 2 and 3 do the long range work. Number 4, if I could only have one. Admittedly number 4 and 5 are overkill for 99% of what most people do..... but, I tend walk unusual paths at times.

Hey guys,

I've been watching our threads for a while now and curiosity has got the best of me. With so many great choices out there for LRH which cartridges and calibers really set themselves apart from the rest, if any? Which ones make almost everyone's must have list? The reality is most people can't afford a half dozen rifles or more, so if you had the opportunity to hunt the world for everything from groundhogs to elephants and were limited to 5 cartridges or less what would they be? Just curious which ones consistently rise to the top and if any of the new Gucci cartridges make the cut or we wind up sticking with the tried and true. Feel free to state your reason or uses for each cartridge. I am not looking for a debate. There are no wrong answers. Everyone has there favorites. Just curious if there is any consistency? I think it could help some of the new guys narrow there choices when selecting their next cartridge....

I'll start! 308, 270 win, 300 WIn Mag, 338 RUM, 375 H&H. What are your thoughts???
7mm STW 168gr ABLR Retumbo 3,342 fps 28" barrel, 300 PRC 210gr ABLR IMR 8133 3,100 fps, 7 SAUM, 26 Nosler, 300 Win Mag.

Hey guys,

I've been watching our threads for a while now and curiosity has got the best of me. With so many great choices out there for LRH which cartridges and calibers really set themselves apart from the rest, if any? Which ones make almost everyone's must have list? The reality is most people can't afford a half dozen rifles or more, so if you had the opportunity to hunt the world for everything from groundhogs to elephants and were limited to 5 cartridges or less what would they be? Just curious which ones consistently rise to the top and if any of the new Gucci cartridges make the cut or we wind up sticking with the tried and true. Feel free to state your reason or uses for each cartridge. I am not looking for a debate. There are no wrong answers. Everyone has there favorites. Just curious if there is any consistency? I think it could help some of the new guys narrow there choices when selecting their next cartridge....

I'll start! 308, 270 win, 300 WIn Mag, 338 RUM, 375 H&H. What are your thoughts???
Here it's 22Hornet,243,25-06,308 ,300wm

17 WSM
6 CM
6.8 Western
7 SAUM or 280 AI
30 Nosler

I understand the 6.8W and 7 SAUM do about the same thing but man are they sweet.

Hey guys,

.22 lr ,308,,7prc,10mm handgun 300prc and ,6.5 creed. Sorry I had to add one extra

Recent Posts