What’s your favorite cartridge?

I don't think I have a favorite cartridge. I like a myriad of mid-size cartridges like .243, 6mm, 6.5 CM, and 7-08. And for anything bigger then that I hunt I do just fine with my 30-06. There are so many cartridges out there that can do the same or similar things it boggles the mind. The firearms and ammo manufacturers know how to keep us wetting our lips for new stuff. Let's face it, we could get by with just one or two rifles.
Quote from above: Let's face it, we could get by with just one or two rifles.

I concur…..1 for varmints/paper/steel and 1 for all game on the planet! 😉 memtb

Used to be for many years 8mm Rem mag. Loved that rifle. Gave it to my brother, said he wanted to start hunting 15 years ago. He still has not even shot it. Now I grab my 375H&H mostly and sometimes an old Winchester 70 in 300H&H . I hunt the western states and Alaska .
Hi, you just best go get that "Great eight" back! What a superb round❗

30-06 Below - My 30-06 with my hand loads from a bench @200yds...I really do like her... I've taken elk, mule deer, whitetail deer, antelope, and a few not so lucky groundhogs, from inside 50 yds to outside 300. Most have been DRT. She's very reliable, consistent and accurate! View attachment 440235
That reminds me of my old M70 06' I've had since I was 14

I'm interested to hear more about this .375 AI

I'm very interested in a lightweight big bore and it seems like you have it figured out!!

My first kill with a Barnes ( fall of 1993, I think) 270 gr. from my .375 AI was a full length similar to yours…..from the other direction. Near dark, a small rag horn bull elk was coming up the hill at a slight angle toward us, apparently the late evening air shift went right down the ridge to the elk. He wheeled at ran down hill retracing his path, I made a Texas Heart Shot at about 80 yards.

The bullet entered the left ham, about 4 or so inches to the left of the "bullseye" 😉, shattered the pelvis, traveled forward through the guts, diaphragm, left lung, exited the left foreleg pit (leg pit 🤔) reentered the upper foreleg missing the upper leg bone and lodged beneath the offside hide. The bullet completed 3 hide penetrations, shattered the pelvis (moderately heavy bone), traveled through the entire elk including the thick upper leg muscle of the foreleg. The recovered bullet broke off one petal and the remaining bullet weighed 257 grains.

It was after this bullet performance that Barnes became my only hunting bullet! As Barnes technology progressed, I changed with the times a continued to develop loads with the new bullets! memtb

Recent Posts