wet weather gear

HRstretch

Just wondering about rain gear? Do I look for a good poncho or look to find a top and bottom bid enough to go over my cold weather layers. I'm 6'5", so I would likely need 4 or 5 size in order to cover my gear with all layers on. It would be pretty loose if stripped down to minimumlayers.

What is your experience. Long term forecast is showing possible rain on first day of hunt then sunny skies the next 4 days.

Just wondering about rain gear? Do I look for a good poncho or look to find a top and bottom bid enough to go over my cold weather layers. I'm 6'5", so I would likely need 4 or 5 size in order to cover my gear with all layers on. It would be pretty loose if stripped down to minimumlayers.

What is your experience. Long term forecast is showing possible rain on first day of hunt then sunny skies the next 4 days.

Problem with ponchos is that they don't provide great coverage in the wind. Wind tends to whip them around, and you get wet.

Buy top and bottom. Full zips on the pants will make them easy to get on and off even if wearing big boots.

I would buy new US Mil Goretex for your size. It's made to be part of a layering system, tough as nails and you can buy a set for around 225.00 - 300.00 on Ebay new with tags. Made in the USA too, and will last with no seams pulling apart when you least need it to not work.
Ponchos suck.

I have 2 rain suits.

1. Cabela's Rainy River PacLite Gore-Tex

2. REI Kimtah eVent laminate (breathes far better than the PacLite)

For hunting I carry the XL size eVent parka and PacLite pants (to save the more expensive eVent pants from brush wear and tear).
The parka is one size larger to accommodate my down jacket underneath.

The ONLY poncho I'd consider is a "PACKA" in Gore-Tex. It is a hybrid parka/poncho that will cover a pack or can be cinched in to wear as a parka. Generally I hate the clumsiness of ponchos, especially when climbing or in windy conditions.

Definitely get pants. Pants protect you much better and also keep your feet drier because with a poncho you are protected when walking through wet grass or brush. If your pants get wet it will wick to your feet. I wear my rain pants at times just because of due in the grass and I don't want my feet wet. Other times I wear a water prof gaiters for the same reason. When backpack hunting wet feet can ruin your hunt quickly if you are traveling a lot and get blisters.

Helly Hansen Impertech.

Completely water/wind proof and durable. Not breathable though. Not what you would call "light weight" but light enough for me to take because they work when others don't.

Forget the Goretex it won't last and won't keep you dry in a down pour. Helly Hansen is great but hot if your walking. Cabela's Helly Hansen knock off is great. It has sleeve and leg closures plus an improved hood.

I just use the new British army MTP waterproofs which I find are comfortable and hard wearing. I would suspect the US military stuff would be the same.

Rob

I use Sitka Gear Gore-Tex pants and shell. They're surprisingly quiet, and kept me dry on a week long bow hunt with rain every day. Spendy, but well worth it.

I've heard the very high end Goretex like what COBrad mentioned does well, even in Alaska. Another brand is Arcteryx (Goretex) that has been said to do well but their colors may leave something to be desired. Also, pant legs wick rain nearly up the the knee so a pair of gaiters goes a long way to keeping you dry. When the rain stops, the rain pants come off but my gaiters stay on More weight though.

Rivers West! 3 weights light-medium-heavy. Guarenteed waterproff for ten year. Many camo paterns to choose. Mine are 12 years old, I have never been wet.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts