Gearing up for wet weather

Timnterra

I'm starting to plan for a cascade mountains elk hunt October 2020 and I know my wet weather gear is not adequate. What gear have you used that you would recommend in wet rainy conditions? I've really been looking hard at the Kuiu Yukon line of rain gear but spending $800 for a jacket, pants and gaiters seems very expensive. I'm also pretty set on a tepee tent with a stove to hopefully dry things out at night, is anyone better than any other?

1) rain jacket and pants
2) hat and gloves
2) gaiters
4) boots that are waterproof but good for miles of backcountry hiking
5) pack cover/ tarp / way to keep gear and other stuff dry
6) tent/ stove etc.

I'm not a big fan of rain pants/jacket combo for sporadic showers as it's a PITA to put on&off all day. I started using a silnylon poncho, easier to put on and off and keeps my pack dry.

There are many light weight models available now, some will have a longer length on back to keep you dry, along with your pack and rifle. I'd look for one with snaps down lower sides. Pair your poncho with gaiters.

For heavy, constant rain and traveling through wet brush day to day, there is no substitute for a quality HD rain suit, especially if it's also cold and windy.

When you're backpacking, weight is always a concern. I prefer tipi style shelters for the extra room and headspace, but a hot tent and stove add a lot of weight. I use a 10x13' silnylon tarp pitched in a tipi style with no stove, it's far lighter. I use a bivy bag and a quality super warm down bag and have never been uncomfortable @ 10,000'.

Sounds like you've plenty of time to experiment with different options and see what you're willing to pack on your back. Good Luck!

I'm not a big fan of rain pants/jacket combo for sporadic showers as it's a PITA to put on&off all day. I started using a silnylon poncho, easier to put on and off and keeps my pack dry.

There are many light weight models available now, some will have a longer length on back to keep you dry, along with your pack and rifle. I'd look for one with snaps down lower sides. Pair your poncho with gaiters.

For heavy, constant rain and traveling through wet brush day to day, there is no substitute for a quality HD rain suit, especially if it's also cold and windy.

When you're backpacking, weight is always a concern. I prefer tipi style shelters for the extra room and headspace, but a hot tent and stove add a lot of weight. I use a 10x13' silnylon tarp pitched in a tipi style with no stove, it's far lighter. I use a bivy bag and a quality super warm down bag and have never been uncomfortable @ 10,000'.

Sounds like you've plenty of time to experiment with different options and see what you're willing to pack on your back. Good Luck!
Thanks for the suggestions. I like The idea of using a lightweight tarp instead of the tent. How do you set it up as a TP? Do you use a tracking poll? Would there be enough room for two people? My sleeping bag also need to be replaced what bag do you prefer?

Probably the best tarp for tipi pitch is the DD Hammocks XL tarp. Ships from GB for $83 dollars, by Amazon. Got mine in 4 days for a backup tarp. It's 4.5 m x 3m, so 15'x10', a bit larger than my 13'x10' AquaQuest.

Just Google tipi pitch with XL DD tarp on YouTube by Papa Hiker. Just practice the pitch til you have it down pat, before your hunt. I have an 8' collapsible pole, but usually just cut a pole from what is available. I also take a 8'x10' tarp for a cooking shelter, a good distance away.

I use a Marmot 0* down bag, no complaints. If the weather is possibly under 10*, I also take my down quilt. I also take a couple of SOL emergency blankets, one for ground sheet and one to reflect heat from my fire, if necessary. A bivy bag in the tipi adds warmth, I use a Slumberjack with the hooped head & foot for more room.

I, like Dok7mm, have settled on using a nice army poncho, which along with most new non-cotton materials which dry fast, is suitable for wet conditions. We use a Cabela's Bighorn series tent with a stove, which is a must for longer stays, otherwise, settle on a well waterproofed tent in whatever form, as the last bastion of dryness. The room of the bigger tent is nice.

1. Rain Jacket & Pants-> something in Gore-Tex from a reputable manufacturer like Cabela's or LL Bean. Doesn't have to be camo.
2. Hats-> OR (Outdoor Research) Seattle Sombrero
2. Gloves-> neoprene duck hunters gloves
3.Gaiters-> Outdoor Research GTX (most durable & best for the money)
4. Waterproof Boots-> LOWA or Meindel (AND wear 3 mm US DIVERS seam sealed neoprene socks over thin polyester or polypro liner sox. Keeps the inside of the boots dry. *carry 1 pair liner socks for each day
5. Pack Cover (& forget the small tarp)-> silnylon material (see REI, Camp Saver, Moosejaw, etc.)
6. Stove, Tent, "etc."-> WOW, this is worth one entire thread in itself!
Check out the threads in this forum and the regular Backpacking Gear forum.

BASICS:
Try for a solo tent not much over 2 lbs. I like the Tarptent Moment DW with ripstop inner. Be SURE you seal the seams with SilNet tube sealant. Do NOT buy a tent with urethane coating. Get SILNYLON.
Use a canister-top stove like a MSR Pocket Rocket
Get an REI FLASH Insulated 3 season air mattress (15 oz.)
30 F.Mummy bag of Climashield synthetic insulation (Do NOT get Primaloft insulation)
Utensils-> 3 cup pot & lid, aluminum pot gripppers,
plastic bowl and graduated measuring/drinking cup, Lexan "plastic" long handled spoon (REI)

Buy a GOOD backpacking book on LIGHT WEIGHT backpacking.

Eric B.
BTW, wear only synthetic or wool/synthetic blend clothing. Never wear cotton in wet weather, only in the desert.

For the guys on a budget, I saw rain suits on clearance at Sportsman's Warehouse today. May be at all stores or just in the Phoenix area since we've had little or no rain this monsoon season. Stay dry!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.