Weighing brass questions

Buy brass from a specific lot and you usually don't have a problem. You may cull some but most will give you acceptable results. Brass salvaged from fired factory rounds will more than likely be from different lots and needs to be sorted by whatever criteria/limits you decide will give you the results you are looking for. Separate, label with a Sharpe, load, shoot groups over a chronograph and see if there is a big difference in your results. The differences in weight/capacity introduce variables, eliminating variables make it easier to see the effects of powder charge, seating depth, etc.

Grafs sell Peterson brass, check the link below for your caliber.
Well Peterson automatically sends you to Graf when you try to buy anything and they have been out last three times I have tried. Its a great idea in theory but don't work for me so far, all they have is their premium not select brass. I just stocked up on Lapua to hold me for the next two year's or so, maybe they might have it if I try sometime after that. Actually looking at my notes Lapua usually varies about 3gr overall so I can live with that OK. It's the Norma and Winchester that's killing me.

When you guys weigh brass how much of a difference do you allow? And what weight do you use? I got brass from 178grns to 198grns. Also do you throw out the brass not within specs of your chosen weight? Thanks for your help
Stick with Lapua, Nosler or Norma. These will give you a plus or minus around 4 grains which won't affect the ES.

Yes Hornady fromfactor fired ammo
That is entirely too much spread, most likely from buying different lots of loaded ammo. I expect a 10gr spread between brands, I have seen 20gr spreads in creedmore brass, Lapua, Prime and Hornady. Like mentioned, way better to check water capacity, but weighing is a decent reflection of what you have.
I do have the time to sort brass and keep separate, but I am not taking the time to do so. Life is too short for restrictions like this.

That's exactly why I stay away from "BIG RED"
I am glad I am not alone, lol
I just backed myself in a corner on a 25 saum build. Took for granted new Rem brand 7 saum brass a drop in fit. My necks of loaded rds measure the same or just under the chamber neck dimensions. I'm not turning necks, only available option right now is H brand. It can sit, or I can pull the barrel and give it away. Which I will do before buying big red,

My empirical data indicates that some rifle/case/powder combinations are relatively tolerant of case weight. For example, I have one .22-250 using PMC brass that weighs from 160.0 to 163.9 grains but all shoot within 30 fps and to the same point of impact at 200 yds. I have another .22-250 using Winchester brass that is picky. 160 gr cases shoot a good group to one point of impact, but 159 gr cases, while still shooting a good group, have a point of impact as much as 3/4 inch different at 100 yds. In most instances, I weigh my prairie dog cases to within a 1 grain range.

Stick with Lapua, Nosler or Norma. These will give you a plus or minus around 4 grains which won't affect the ES.

The Nosler premium brass has the flash holes deburred and supposedly are weight sorted as well.

WkJMFHf.jpg

Last edited:
That is entirely too much spread, most likely from buying different lots of loaded ammo. I expect a 10gr spread between brands, I have seen 20gr spreads in creedmore brass, Lapua, Prime and Hornady. Like mentioned, way better to check water capacity, but weighing is a decent reflection of what you have.
I do have the time to sort brass and keep separate, but I am not taking the time to do so. Life is too short for restrictions like this.

It might not be a bad idea to establish some sort of relationship between case capacity and weight. Hopefully it would be a straight line relationship. Might need to do it with maybe 10 cases.

I weight sort and anything outside of 3gr total spread gets used as fouler's, plinker's, or scope sighting in/barrel breaking in rounds. Better the brass (Lapua - Peterson) the less outside the limits you will get. You don't have to sort that close but I'm anal and really into accuracy so its my self imposed numbers. I do trim to uniform length and deburr flash holes first before weighing.
One should add ADG to the list of quality brass. I recently weighed fifty rounds of ADG and fifty rounds of Hornady. All 6.5 PRC. The ADG varied 1.2 grains. The Hornady varied 5.9 grains. Hornady appears to me to be solid second tier. Not junk, but not 'top shelf'. The ADG is on par with Lapua.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.