first time weighing brass

sven556

Tonight was the first time I have ever weighed brass and I thought the results were a bit interesting. I am just getting into long range shooting so I thought it might be worthwhile to look into.

Recently I bought new 270 win Hornady brass and 30-06 norma brass. The Hornady brass had a 7 gr weight spread; with only 33 cases being within 3 gr that I will continue to use. The Norma brass had a 3 gr weight spread. This sounds normal.

For the heck of it I weighed some TAA 07 headstamped 5.56 brass that I had converted to 7.62x40wt; had a weight spread of 2 gr.

I know the 5.56 is a lot smaller case but I expected a large spread on the military cases.

Sadly, that seems to be typical for me also the one time (and last) I bought Hornady reloading brass. It was .300WinMag, weights were all over the place, like yours and the primer pockets opened up after one firing. Total garbage and a waste of my hard earned money.
Norma and Lapua are more expensive but you get what you pay for the majority of the time. I use Norma for my .300WinMag now but every night when I say my prayers I ask Jesus to let Lapua see the light and start running belted mag brass again.

I used to weigh and separate brass. Stopped when doing so when I found very little differences in Lapua.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.