Weighing brass questions

This subject comes up pretty regular.
With >5,000 posts I likely provided related inputs, over and over and over.
So I wonder what would finally solve the never ending?

My contention here is that 'solutions' come with understanding.
Ideally, we could shove aside everything this mob thinks or does, and start over with clean discussion in subject. Maybe work our way to actual solutions.

Anyway, it's not really working. I'll pull out
Me too like many other endless threads we should do what works for us and move on

I had gotten a 50 round box of Nosler Brass for 338 W.Mag. All that I have weight have been within a few 0.3 of grains. There cases are light in weight compared to others thay I have used before. The only thing is I have heard some complains about Nosler Brass in posts. I haven't figured out what the problem is yet. Maybe somebody else could shed some light on Nosler Cases.

SSS

Mike

What I found when buying weight sorted brass, was that It was very close in weight only. It was different in volume and from batch to batch. (I bought one batch and was very pleased with the weight sorting, So I bough another batch and it was very close case to case like the first batch but did not weigh the same as the first batch buy a large margin

This is when I decided to volume test the first and second batch. It was all over the place so the next step was to prep some of the cases in both batches. after prepping some of the cases I found that they were closer to the same weight than before prepping. This led me to believe that all they did was to weight sort as they were made much like we would do without case prep. Once they were all prepped and weighed they were essentially like other brands that the prep and sorting we did but much cheaper.

Now I try to buy quality cases, do the complete prep and weight sort or volume test to monitor
the results. This seems to be the best way for me to get what I want without paying two prices and ending up with the same results.

I hope this explains the problem that some/I had with factory weight sorted cases.

J E CUSTOM

This has been discussed many times and will never be resolved. Some are getting tired of these discussions, But we have to remember that there is a constant amount of new shooters joining us that have not been privy to many of these discussions, and could use some advice and/or directing.

If we want to pass on our experiences and opinions, and advance the sport, we have to help our newer shooters and prevent them from making the same mistakes we did. :)

We as the older crowd (Speaking for my self) must Be patient and help when we can to prevent them from becoming Interdnet Experts.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Sorting by weight is an estimate of volume but maybe not necessarily true taking a file to make it weigh the same is definitely a waste of time You are changing the weight but you are doing nothing to change internal capacity measuring capacity would be more accurate but most people don't get into it that deep
Yep. That is exactly my point. Capacity is everything, weight is irrelevant. I don't bother filing, lol, just a suggestion for those with OCD.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.