weatherby or tika

i HAVE 1/2 dozen vanguards, one is 36 yrs old , it was $180 bucks, still shoots under 1moa, it is my sons first gun as was mine , taken 4 bulls .243. mINE ALL SHOOT 1MOA, so do my brownings, but they cost, more.I look at them as the go between for the mark V. bROWING IS A lighter carry can. :)

Weatherby recently said on their forum that they have replaced a total of ten (10) Sub-MOA rifles for not meeting the claim. Apparently these "magazine testers and forum guys" have never contacted Weatherby.

Your bias shows, and I'm sure mine does too. But, that's OK.
My 7 Weatherbys and I are happy. :D
I've never owned or shot the Tikka but I've looked at several as well as spent time at the SHOT show looking at them and comparing many, many rifles.

Guilty! I admit that I am biased towards the Tikka, but might consider a Weatherby in the future (actually the T/C Icon looks interesting too). I did notice that a Sub MOA is several hundred dollars more than a Tikka though. And its average trigger weight, according to Weatherby, is 3.15 lbs and must be adjusted by a gunsmith. The Tikka is set at 3 lbs from the factory and can be adjusted down to 2 lbs or up to 4 lbs, by the owner.

So you'd pay more for a Sub MOA vs a T3, and yet even more to get the trigger adjusted if you wanted to go lower. I know many people that like a 3 lb trigger on a hunting rifle. I like 2 lbs. on mine so it wouldn't apply to everyone.

The OP also mentioned lightweight. The SUB MOA is a full pound heavier than a T3 synthetic. The regular Vanguard is also heavier than a T3 by nearly 1 pound. The plain Vanguard does seem like a bargain at $400. Actually might look into getting Howa 1500 for even less, but a blue T3 can be bought for $500 which is lighter, has 1 MOA guarantee, and adjustable trigger. I'm sounding like a broken record so I'll stop...:D

I think that if you are going to get the T-3, get it in the walnut stock. 6.5x55 will do everything mentioned.

Steve

My two Tikka T3's have been worth the money. Can't speak to the Weatherby from personal experience.

I have both. They are both quality accurate rifles for there price range. I like the sako action better with the adjustable trigger. But you can put a custom trigger on the vanguard and still be in it cheaper than the tikka. I guess it comes down to weight. The vanguard comes in 300 wby mag and 257 wby mag. Those two are big plusses. Extremely accurate and at the top of the envelope.

And its average trigger weight, according to Weatherby, is 3.15 lbs and must be adjusted by a gunsmith.

It can be done by the owner; you just have to remove the stock to do it, rather than having it externally adjustable.

The key is then torquing the screws properly to put the stock and action back together. I suspect that's part of the reason Weatherby recommends a gunsmith. That, and liability.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.