Mossberg or Weatherby?

Tjurgensen

Im looking for a new rifle and have narrowed my caliber down to a 270 WSM. now im debating on the gun. My decision is between a Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 sporter or a Mossberg 4X4. Both are wood stock, both have a 24" barrel, and both look to be quality guns. Unfortunately I have never owned neither a Mossberg or Weatherby rifle so I don't know which is better or the qualities both hold. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Im looking for a new rifle and have narrowed my caliber down to a 270 WSM. now im debating on the gun. My decision is between a Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 sporter or a Mossberg 4X4. Both are wood stock, both have a 24" barrel, and both look to be quality guns. Unfortunately I have never owned neither a Mossberg or Weatherby rifle so I don't know which is better or the qualities both hold. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

I would go with the Vanguard.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Weatherby, hands-down.

I don't particularly care for Mossberg products, even though I have an 835 Ulti-Mag for turkey hunting. Had it since I was 10.

I love my Weatherby Mark V Accumark .257 Wby Mag...It's a slick shooter.

Last edited:
I too would go weatherby. Ive never owned a mossberg though but ive heard very good things about there accuracy.

I think the previous responses are a clear indication of the attitude you'll find across the spectrum of rifle owners. With the long run of success at the entry level, and the recent improvements to the triggers, it's hard not to recommend the weatherby S2 vanguard(S1's aint half bad either, I'm very pleased with the two I own). Whether justified or not, it's tough for newer products at the entry level to overtake seasoned veterans like the vanguard line. Weatherby bolt actions are as respectably recognized as just about any gun manufacturer, even though Howa produces the vanguard line. The Mossberg should be cheaper, and you can find plenty of satisfied 4x4 customers on the net, but you can expect to find similar responses to the ones above on any forum. I would guess after market parts may favor the vanguard as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.