Savage or Weatherby?

boattailed bandit

Okay guys stock rifle to stock rifle, which would you choose to throw a scope on and take out to 700yds and under? I have a savage 10 that i really love. Accutrigger is amazing, but the factory stock leaves much to be desired. My father has an older weatherby vanguard thats built solid. You can just feel it. But they arent free floated from the factory. So if you had to choose between a savage 10 or a Weatherby Vanguard (newer sub-moa models) which would it be? Both in .308win.

Okay guys stock rifle to stock rifle, which would you choose to throw a scope on and take out to 700yds and under? I have a savage 10 that i really love. Accutrigger is amazing, but the factory stock leaves much to be desired. My father has an older weatherby vanguard thats built solid. You can just feel it. But they arent free floated from the factory. So if you had to choose between a savage 10 or a Weatherby Vanguard (newer sub-moa models) which would it be? Both in .308win.

Whichever is more accurate for the intended use and range ... period.

Because you specify 308 Winchester as the chambering.

Weatherby

but

There is so much left out. Budget and use?

You mentioned the Vangard sub MOA from Weatherby but you didn't mention which model of Savage. I feel that selection could make a huge decision in the outcome.

The Savage mod 10 can be had with either an HS Precision or a McMillan stock which makes it good to go right out of the box.

In all honesty, I would probably still select the Savage for greater aftermarket support, known & trusted accuracy & the good ole Made in the USA stamp on the side.

t

My useage would be a mixture or range and hunting. 700 is pushing the most id be able to find hunting as far as distance, but the range i go to has a rifle range of 1340yds. So i play there some times. The savage is one of the newer model 10s with the plain tupperware stock. Im just thinking of trading it for a weatherby if i come across one.

I would look for a Remington 5R Milspec .308 with the 24" barrel... Comes in an HS Precision stock with a 5R-rifled heavy barrel from the factory. They're known shooters out of the box. Mine shoots sub-½ MOA groups on average with handloads. All I've done to it was replace the trigger.

My useage would be a mixture or range and hunting. 700 is pushing the most id be able to find hunting as far as distance, but the range i go to has a rifle range of 1340yds. So i play there some times. The savage is one of the newer model 10s with the plain tupperware stock. Im just thinking of trading it for a weatherby if i come across one.

Sporter barrel? If so it can get frustrating and time consuming when you want to send lead down range for fun. But it wouldn't take much to swap that barrel and upgrade the stock. For about $500 you'd probably think differently on the topic. Surely its gonna cost you to trade anyways.

I would look for a Remington 5R Milspec .308 with the 24" barrel... Comes in an HS Precision stock with a 5R-rifled heavy barrel from the factory. They're known shooters out of the box. Mine shoots sub-½ MOA groups on average with handloads. All I've done to it was replace the trigger.

x2.. The S2 at buds is 860 vs the 5r ss at 1070. I'd pay that difference all day.

Boatail- the further you depart from what the F-class shooters use ( rifle ammo scope ect) at 700 yards the less likely you will have success. they do not just throw a scope on and shoot. you do not mention what ammo you intend to use.

I have multiples in both. Savage has better barrel options. Stocks are a lot easier to change then barrels so for what your saying I would go with the savage.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.