Weatherby Accumark accuracy

Casscade

How is the accuracy with a factory Wby accumark compared to other guns such as a sendero.Have you guys had good or bad luck with them. Thanks

There are some that have never owned a Weatherby that condem them because of too much free bore. There are some that condem them as over priced. There are some that own them that are very satisified with them and have had great sucess with them. There are a few that have had them and had bad experience with them, pretty much the same as any brand. If you are planning on having it customized there is a lot more options for a Remington or Savage.

I have a 257 Wby. and found that with the 115gr. X-Bullet I could consistantly get around a 3/4" group, some times less. When I had a Rem 700 VS-SF in 22-250 I ususally got groups ranging from 1/2 - 3/4" depending on ammo, wind and the loose nut on the trigger.

with a little tweaking like trigger work , bedding and barrel floating and with load development with a better bullet than the X bullet you should be able to get it in the 1/2 moa range.

I've seen a few shoot realy well with the above mentioned work , one would shoot in the 1/4 moa range when partly necksized fireformed cases and nosler ballistic tip bullets.

I bought one new in '99 7STW. I didn't have much room to brag about regarding accuracy. First rifle I bought to get into LR and since learned to go with the 700. Remmy has much more to offer in after market parts to tweak accuracy. The WBY was a beautiful rifle, but not consistant even with loads that were prepped to benchrest standards. I'm sure there are many accurate WBY's out there, mine wasnt one of them.

Wade

I had one and my $395 Remington in the same caliber would shoot much better. Played with the Accumark with 4 or 5 powders and different bullets and no improvement. Got feed up and sold it cheap. I thought it might be the scope, but it shot well on my Remington 25-06 Sendero I can not rule out the mounts since I did not change them out while trying to get the Accumark to shoot. Just my expeience.

Accumark

Casscade

Weatherby guarantees 1&1/2 MOA with there Accumark to start with.

I am a big Remingtion fan but they dont make any such claims nether
does Win,sako,browning,Savage or any other that I know of using there
factory ammunition.

If you buy one that does'nt shoot 1&1/2 MOA you can send it back.

But the weatherby guy's will all tell you that the best way to make any
Mark 5 shoot is to adjust the tip pressure.

If you free float the small tapered barrels they may not shoot as well as
before.(this is what weatherby does if you send it back.

The weatherby action is very well made , strong and requires very little
blue printing compaired to most other actions.

As far as freebore if the action is well fit to the barrel and headspace
is held to a minimun .001" accurace doesent suffer.

I like to use the Remingtion action for all of the standard mag (.534 bolt
face or smaller) and the Weatherby Mark 5 for cartridges with case heads
around .600"or larger.

Also the Mark 5 mag well is .100" longer , A plus for big bullets.

J E CUSTOM

I have found the Accumarks to be one of the most consitantly accurate rifles made. I have worked on several Senderos that have been either really good or really bad. I have yet to find an out of the box Accumark that won't shoot under 1" with factory ammo. I have 3 Accumarks of my own and they are all bedded now with the factory triggers adjusted down to just under 1 pound and all of mine shoot under 1/2 with several different loads and with there prefered loads better than that. My best group so far is 3" at 885 yards off a field rest. Normal still conditions and a goodrest 1 1/2" groups at 300 yards is what I expect from an Accumark. 257Wby, 300Wby and 338-378Wby seem to be the most popular ones. If your shopping the Accubrake is a great option on anything bigger than a 257Wby. I even wish my 257's had them.

I am a big Remingtion fan but they dont make any such claims nether
does Win,sako,browning,Savage or any other that I know of using there
factory ammunition.

J E CUSTOM

Just have to chime in and say Sako does have a 1 MOA accuracy guarantee.

Some have had great luck w/Weatherby. I, for one, don't own one and never will. I'll take a Savage or Rem any day.

When I shot factory guns I owned several of these over the last 10 years and all shot very well. Never had one that would not shoot less than .75 MOA at 300.

I have shot a 338-378 in a acumark quite a bit and finally retired it because the poi would chamge almost every time I went out with it. I have gotten so I shoot remington's, and coopers almost exclusivly. I guess I do shoot a savage every now and then but it isnt one of my hunting rifles but it used to shoot good a few thousands rounds ago.

I have one of the 1st year production USA made guns in a 300 wby sporter, the ones with the two peice steel bottom metal not the cheap stuff they now use.I am going to send it either back to wby and have an accumark barrel put on in same cal., or its going to Hart and coming back as a 338 Lapua woith a Hart on it. Thats why I wanted to know how accurate the accumarks are. Already know with Hart, but its almost twice the money.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.