Weatherby 6.5 RPM?

I really like this case design. I think this should have been done 30 years ago to the .284 Win case design. If it equals a .264 Win Mag in a standard long action, what's not to like? No useless belt, no old school shoulder angles and case designs. This is a great round for all of those old rifles in .270 and .30-06 that need a new barrel.

I really like this case design. I think this should have been done 30 years ago to the .284 Win case design. If it equals a .264 Win Mag in a standard long action, what's not to like? No useless belt, no old school shoulder angles and case designs. This is a great round for all of those old rifles in .270 and .30-06 that need a new barrel.

I agree, and look forward to having one.

The older I get the more I appreciate light and light-recoiling rifles. I've found they will do everything I need to do out to 600-700 yards and then some. My 6.5-06AI pushes a 130g Scirocco II to 3162fps and it remains supersonic to 1200 yards. Very low recoil but a heavy/fluted barrel. Clay pigeons on the 600-yard berm don't stand a chance. (Well, that's not true - maximum hit rates are 80%.) Same rifle will push a 140g BT to 3075fps with only 43g powder. Love it.

Have a 7mm RM Savage action that needs rebarrel and I'm thinking .264WM, which will mimic the 6.5-06AI with a bit t spare. Already rejected thoughts of the 26 and 28 Nosler due to barrel life and powder consumption.
I have a nice custom 6.5-06 that I often think about reaming to AI. It really likes 125 grain Partitions and I still can't explain why I "needed" the 6.5-30. I guess I'd there's still room on one of the safes you must fill it, right?

I have a nice custom 6.5-06 that I often think about reaming to AI. It really likes 125 grain Partitions and I still can't explain why I "needed" the 6.5-30. I guess I'd there's still room on one of the safes you must fill it, right?

Kind of what happened to my safes. Granddad's Remington Model 24 .22 Short to a couple .50 muzzle stuffers and handguns piled on one another. All are fun. :)

Hornady does indeed have better marketing they turned the 6.5 creedmoor into the hottest thing, they also need to release the PRC in cheaper rifles- namely tikka most of the current factory offerings are in the price range of a weatherby rifle so moot there.
Weatherby has never sought to be everyman's rifle, and as this is a long range hunting forum I'd bet folks arent terribly concerned with ammo availability as they will reload- but for people that appreciate their rifles this new cartridge is a welcome addition to a lineup of 70 year old cartridges. Also, with the move to wyoming their rifles and ammo are getting much more affordable and as discussed ad nauseam on the other rpm threads this cartridge isnt intended to balistically best any cartridge but provide an accurate light package for their smaller 6 lug action.
Well said Andrew. Also the "others"are still trying to either surpass those 70 year old designs or make most people think they have done so!!!!

So how is this going to be an advantage over the 6 5x284???
I don't think it is for most people. The more I have thought about this cartridge, the less excited I am. I think hard core weatherby fans will be thrilled, everybody else will probably buy a 6.5 prc or 6.5x284. I will admit I held out to see the specs on this before I bought my 6.5 prc a couple weeks ago. Kudos for these companies making an effort to keep their fan base happy tho - its good for everybody in the end.

So how is this going to be an advantage over the 6 5x284???
The factory loads for the 6.5 RPM look underrated compared to what it should be capable of. Their 140gr load at 3070fps isn't much ahead of what you can load a 6.5x284 up to. If you look at factory 6.5x284 loads though, they're around 2750-2850. In reality you can add another 150fps to what the factory 6.5x284 ammo is loaded at. Even if you can gain 100fps with handloads over factory in the RPM, that's 3170fps with a 140gr bullet. That's .264 Win Mag territory from the 6.5 RPM!