Weatherby 6.5 RPM 300 Yards

Zen Archery

Fall Elk Hunting buddy brought out his new Weatherby 6.5 RPM. The weight of this thing is nuts. With scope it's just over 7lbs. with 24" sporter barrel 1-8TR. The other thing I admire is the bolt action. It's 1/2 the cycle height as a standard Rem700, Savage, Tikka, or Ruger.
He's got it topped with a Leupold 4.5-10 (I believe). He bought 1 box of Barnes 127 TSX to get baseline information. It's running roughly 3140FPS. He's tasked me to load new Hammer 125HHT's for the fall.

He's planning on using a 300 yard zero. He spent about 5-6 rounds to dial in the scope at 100 yards. Recoil is non-existent but he's running a break designed for a future suppressor. Shot 2 rounds at 200 to fine tune the scope. Took a shot at 250. High middle shot on steel below. Then went out to 300 yards. 2 shots stacked on top of each other. He was shooting unsupported on top of a 4 wheeler with his mountain backpack - per my suggestion.

He's really jazzed about this set up. Gotta say I'm envious of its weight and accuracy.

Really curious how fast and accurate the 125 HHT's will do. Stay tuned.

IMG_4679.jpeg

IMG_4727.jpeg

IMG_4701.jpeg

Last edited:
Zen!!
How ya doing?

Within the last 12months I went from not owning a Weatherby to owning 3 Mark Vs.

Mark V Weathermark LT in 7mm WBY.
Mark V Ultra Lightweight in 257 WBY.
Mark V Deluxe (German made) in "Weatherby 300 Magnum". (Safe Queen)

Only thing I dislike about the Mark V (aside from the 1:10 twist for 7mm) is the really long freebore.

I am a pretty big fan of Mark Vs and the guns coming out of Wyoming are excellent. I am shooting the Backcountry Carbon and my daughter has a Camilla Deluxe in 6.5RPM. they both shoot the factory LRX load and the same 121HH load extremely well. Not a huge jump in velocity over the PRC, but the rifle is absolutely incredible. I carried it (the Backcountry) for just under 50 miles last year and couldn't be happier. The 121HH is running 3408 ave. and will shoot 3/4 MOA to 400 yards which is about as good as the operator can do these days. My daughters does even better with the Camilla, but she has been a more mechanically consistent shooter than me since she was 14.

Attachments

• 6.5 RPM.jpg
    6.5 RPM.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 63
I have a Backcountry Ti 2.0 in 6.5. Use a 300 yd. zero. Took an aoudad with it in January. 378 yds., 1 shot, 127 Barnes factory load. First Weatherby I've owned and am very happy with it.

Zen!!
How ya doing?

Within the last 12months I went from not owning a Weatherby to owning 3 Mark Vs.

Mark V Weathermark LT in 7mm WBY.
Mark V Ultra Lightweight in 257 WBY.
Mark V Deluxe (German made) in "Weatherby 300 Magnum". (Safe Queen)

Only thing I dislike about the Mark V (aside from the 1:10 twist for 7mm) is the really long freebore.

Is it you don't like the idea of long freebore because you think it is not accurate? I had one that would put five Nosler ballistic tips in an inch at 100 yards and five of my Corbin homemade bullets into 1/2 inch. I had Weatherby re-barrel it to .340. That barrel did three 210 partitions into 3/4" with a velocity of 3,212 feet per second.

Is it you don't like the idea of long freebore because you think it is not accurate? I had one that would put five Nosler ballistic tips in an inch at 100 yards and five of my Corbin homemade bullets into 1/2 inch. I had Weatherby re-barrel it to .340. That barrel did three 210 partitions into 3/4" with a velocity of 3,212 feet per second.
The 257 & 7mm are both "accurate" enough for big game. I've found loads for both of 5 rounds at 1" or less at 100 yards.

I haven't tried the Berger VLDs in them yet. Been my experience they like it up close & personal to the lands.

The 257 & 7mm are both "accurate" enough for big game. I've found loads for both of 5 rounds at 1" or less at 100 yards.

I haven't tried the Berger VLDs in them yet. Been my experience they like it up close & personal to the lands.
Enough for big Game. What big game you posting about?

Recent Posts