Weatherby 6.5 RPM?

It will be obscure like the .340. The RPM will have its lovers.

Yes, It will indeed have many followers outside of the Wby crowd due to the fact it will work in any standard long action bolt face....

Having no belt and 7mmRM/264Wm case capacity, that will fit in a standard mag well. What's there not to like?

Last edited:
Great marketing but they also purpose-designed the cartridge for long-range target shooting, which is where it took off first. Hunters are declining in numbers while target shooters numbers are increasing. The 6.5CM is a wonderful hunting round as well, for the same reasons that make it a great target round.

Cheaper rifles for the PRC will be coming. Mossberg is already playing in the low cost rifle arena. The cartridge was designed with PRS competition in mind (.30 caliber and under, 3200fps maximum), so it is no surprise the first rifles out were target oriented. At the current time, over a dozen manufacturers are building 6.5PRC rifles in various configurations.

While I agree that Weatherby has never penetrated the mass market with their high-end rifles, they have done well with the Vanguard (Howa) series. But as a long-time handloader myself, component availability is a concern, even if factory ammunition is much less so. My expectation is that 6.5PRC components will be plentiful and relatively inexpensive, like the CM components, while 6.5 RPM components will be much more limited and expensive. The last thing I want is an expensive rifle I can't feed and I know others who feel the same.

Kudos to Weatherby for introducing the cartridge and a light hunting rifle, but if prices are not competitive with other offerings it will be a relatively obscure cartridge that will sell a few rifles at first but fades away with time.

Just my opinions, of course.
Weatherby will rather sell one rifle for $3000 then six for $500. Take it or leave it.
Great marketing but they also purpose-designed the cartridge for long-range target shooting, which is where it took off first. Hunters are declining in numbers while target shooters numbers are increasing. The 6.5CM is a wonderful hunting round as well, for the same reasons that make it a great target round.

Cheaper rifles for the PRC will be coming. Mossberg is already playing in the low cost rifle arena. The cartridge was designed with PRS competition in mind (.30 caliber and under, 3200fps maximum), so it is no surprise the first rifles out were target oriented. At the current time, over a dozen manufacturers are building 6.5PRC rifles in various configurations.

While I agree that Weatherby has never penetrated the mass market with their high-end rifles, they have done well with the Vanguard (Howa) series. But as a long-time handloader myself, component availability is a concern, even if factory ammunition is much less so. My expectation is that 6.5PRC components will be plentiful and relatively inexpensive, like the CM components, while 6.5 RPM components will be much more limited and expensive. The last thing I want is an expensive rifle I can't feed and I know others who feel the same.

Kudos to Weatherby for introducing the cartridge and a light hunting rifle, but if prices are not competitive with other offerings it will be a relatively obscure cartridge that will sell a few rifles at first but fades away with time.

What I do when I buy weatherby rifles for what it's worth-($.001)
Buy 3 boxes of the cheapo spire points and 7 boxes of brass. 200 pieces of brass belongs to that rifle and gets me to roughly 1100-1200 fired rounds which suits those calibers just dandy. I suppose the rpm should get better case life though so perhaps increased mileage.

Yes & because of that capacity which is close to 264WM (if throated properly) in my view at least is pretty close to ideal. I have a M700 270 sitting around not working much. I am going to watch a little while first but the game is different than just 10 years ago. We have a lot of brass companies now, unlike the old days. I suspect if they see some gun building activity I think we will have another brass choice or two.

As far as Weatherby just wanting to sell expensive rifles, I don't buy that for a second. Why would they have the Vanguard rifle at all then?

I have been in sales/Marketing for over 30 years & I believe they are starting right. They want to have the spotlight on their light rifle with this offering short term, until all potential buyers in that market know it exists, that won't take long, maybe a few months. Remember, this way they are not just selling a cartridge for now but a "concept".
They also know the people that want to do a "build" will know about this even quicker because of Social Media/Forums like this.
But the big part of their volume is the Vanguard & a profit percentage of those no doubt is quite good, and this would drive higher ammo sales, so profit in total dollars goes to the bottom line.
I would say in total confidence when they get the message out they desire with their concept the Vanguard will appear.

Just six months ago I bought an Accuguard in 6.5-300 Wby. Sure; it's heavier, longer, and yesterday's flavor, but the advent of the RPM does not leave me with buyer's remorse. I bought the 6.5-300 due to my nonsensical pursuit of 3200 fps with 140 gr bullets. The 6.5-300 delivers this with plenty of room to work up to find a node. Right out of the box, with factory ammo, the Accuguard is shooting around .75 at 100. I'm happy as a clam and I don't think I'll mind the extra 2 or 3 pounds since I have so much confidence in the cartridge and the rifle.

My personal preference is not the extremely light route either.
And also, when the 6.5-300 first came out, the marketing focus was on the Mark 5 and not ultralite because of the different power level and barrel length optimal for the same, with the Vanguard coming out with that round later. Again, the right marketing approach.

Just six months ago I bought an Accuguard in 6.5-300 Wby. Sure; it's heavier, longer, and yesterday's flavor, but the advent of the RPM does not leave me with buyer's remorse. I bought the 6.5-300 due to my nonsensical pursuit of 3200 fps with 140 gr bullets. The 6.5-300 delivers this with plenty of room to work up to find a node. Right out of the box, with factory ammo, the Accuguard is shooting around .75 at 100. I'm happy as a clam and I don't think I'll mind the extra 2 or 3 pounds since I have so much confidence in the cartridge and the rifle.

The older I get the more I appreciate light and light-recoiling rifles. I've found they will do everything I need to do out to 600-700 yards and then some. My 6.5-06AI pushes a 130g Scirocco II to 3162fps and it remains supersonic to 1200 yards. Very low recoil but a heavy/fluted barrel. Clay pigeons on the 600-yard berm don't stand a chance. (Well, that's not true - maximum hit rates are 80%.) Same rifle will push a 140g BT to 3075fps with only 43g powder. Love it.

Have a 7mm RM Savage action that needs rebarrel and I'm thinking .264WM, which will mimic the 6.5-06AI with a bit t spare. Already rejected thoughts of the 26 and 28 Nosler due to barrel life and powder consumption.