weatherby 257mag. help needed

crittrgittr

I recently purchased a 257w.m. I was wondering if anyone has any helpful reloading advice for me? I am new to this magazine and forum, so if this has already been discussed I apologize. I've got about 5-6 years of reloading and somewhat long range shooting(up to 500yds). This seems tobe a pretty good all around cartridge.

Powders: IMR 7828,H1000,RL25

Bullets: 100gr TTSX, 110gr Nosler Accubond, 115 berger VLD

Primer: Fed215M

Any of these should give you a decent start!

thanx wyo2elkhunt, are those from your experience? I am thinking about 100gr. bullet. It will be mainly for deer and on occasion a back up coyote rifle. I normally shoot hodgdon powder, but don't have to. I appreciate any more input.

Sierra 117gr
IMR 4350 (61 grains)
Fed 215M

Produces .3's and .4's all day long @100 yds. I have taken several deer and hogs out to 400 yds with this load and have had great results.

100 Grain Nosler Ballistic tip hunting
IMR4831 68 grains
Federal mag primer
3400 fps
This is a load I use but each rifle is different have to see what your rifle likes.
Mine is an Accumark with 24 in barrel.

I shoot the 100 grain Barnes ttsx at 3760 fps with 75 grains of Magpro and a cci-250 primer. 26" Mk5 wby rifle. Shoots 1 1/4" groups at a quarter mile. My son shot a 2 1/4" group at 650 yards with it last year getting ready for his antelope hunt. This is an awesome combo for deer and antelope. At that velocity the Barnes and scirroco were the only thing I could find that would stay together.

I shoot the 100 grain Barnes ttsx at 3760 fps with 75 grains of Magpro and a cci-250 primer. 26" Mk5 wby rifle. Shoots 1 1/4" groups at a quarter mile. My son shot a 2 1/4" group at 650 yards with it last year getting ready for his antelope hunt. This is an awesome combo for deer and antelope. At that velocity the Barnes and scirroco were the only thing I could find that would stay together.

What was your Coal on this load?

This is a great .257 Wby load.... if you can still find the blue coated bullets.
Load is from Barnes book #3
.257 Wby Mag 26" barrel MkV
Primer - Fed 215 Mag Match
Powder - RL25 76gr
Bullet - 100gr Barnes XLC BT these are a blue coated bullet
Case Wby fired once then neck size for your chamber.
OAL- 3.770 { my rifle only}
3775 fps in most rifles, mine shot a little faster, each rifle seems to find it own velocity.
As a hand load; I couldn't chamber my loads in other MkV Wby's in .257 Wby Mag's I have a few fiends shooting the .257 WM I tried unsuccessfully in their rifles. There was one of my friend's rifle that would, but it was a bit of crush fit.
This combo was a hammer... and flat shooting!

I really appreciate all of your data. I am going to try some of these loads and see which I can get to work best. thanks again. Can't wait to try it on some muleys out west.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.