Help Decifering OCW Test Needed

Drew_CarreyAB

Hey Shooters, I need some help in decifering the OCW test I did. I started out with 75.2gr of RL-22.

Picture016.jpg

Then I moved up in 0.7Gr increments.

Picture017.jpg
Picture018.jpg
Picture019.jpg
Picture020.jpg
Picture021.jpg

BUT.... Here's where I throw a wrench into it.....Check out my sight- in group(to see where I'm hitting......75Gr RL-22 FROM A POWDER MEASURE LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif The Radius distance is 0.401" and the group size is 0.547"

Picture022.jpg

So now I'll let the guru's of LR pick these apart...... .300WM, 165Gr SST's, COL 3.340", CCI 250 Large Rifle Magnum Primers. 1 shot at each(up) then back down (in Gr weight) the only consecutive shots were the sighters. BTW 100yd's was the range of this test, and the targets are 2" squares and the total target size is 5"x5". Any help would be apreciated thanks. Brad. Forgot to add that I am sighting on the center of the four squares.

Drew,

I'm not an expert by any means but i have did quite alot of reading at Dans site and am a member there.
I think the 75gr load is probably the 'low accuracy node'.
Was the first group [75.2 gr] on a clean barrel> no fouling shots?
My lee manuel shows a load of 79.4gr of rel-22 w/a 165gr bullet @ 3135fps as max load.
This is my opinion on OCW > I don't care about the low accuracy node.I'm not trying to reinvent Dans wheel here and in no way mean any disrespect.But i started a couple of grains below max load and worked up from there --not minimum load to max load.
I have reloaded for a couple of years now and did alot of reading > most reloading manuals are well on the safe side and w/good reason.
I'd start w/less than 7/10th's increments on the developement and try 4/10th's.
Start w/78.2 - 78.6 - 79- - 79.4 <[lee's max]-and 79.7or8-if lee's max shows no pressure.
If say 79.4gr groups well shoot the 1-79gr and 1-79.4gr and 1-79.8gr to see if your in the middle [OCW].
This is how i preceded w/OCW and it helped me to get there quickly.Mike

Mike, I used a boresnake to do the cleaning(1 swipe) and then a fouler shot, and then shot the groups, then swipe and foul, shoot, swipe, foul. the 76.6gr group was acceptable to me too but the next loads I'll do will be a ladder @ 200yds, going from minimum to maximum in 0.3gr increments.(alot of shooting but I get to reload more and shoot more this way) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif And hopefully that will answer more of my questions. LOL

On the ladder you suggested, I would only go the top half or less. Once I get over 10 or 12 holes things get screwy. Thats just my opinion.

FWIW, I am shooting 74 gr RL 22 with 190 SMKs. I shot up to 77 gr without any pressure signs. Granted this is my data, but I would step up your powder charges and try using either WLR, GM210M or BR2 primers. Magnum primers are not really needed; LR primers may just tighten up your groups and smooth out your ESs.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.