weatherby 257mag. help needed

hey guys, i just had a .257 WM built. Where do you yall start at with the OAL? i measured the OAL length with a stoney point OAL gauge, and to get close to the lands with my rifle the bullets would only just barely seating in the case. im measureing at the ogive. i plan on shooting 115 bergers. thanks for your help.

hey guys, i just had a .257 WM built. Where do you yall start at with the OAL? i measured the OAL length with a stoney point OAL gauge, and to get close to the lands with my rifle the bullets would only just barely seating in the case. im measureing at the ogive. i plan on shooting 115 bergers. thanks for your help.

Weatherby's arn't made to seat close to the lands. The freebore is what gives them there speed and keeps pressure down. I found mine liked either 2.260 with TTSX and h4831 or 3.333 with ballistic tips and rl25. Good luck on the berger's I wasn't brave enough to try them. Might start with 3.333 and see how it goes.

I've never had any luck with the berger's in any weapon. Seated them in the lands all the way out to .400 off with no luck. Also, this is going to be my woods and short range gun so I am going to stick with the 100 TTSX, I don't think the Berger would hold up that well under 100 yards.

Weatherby's arn't made to seat close to the lands. The freebore is what gives them there speed and keeps pressure down. I found mine liked either 2.260 with TTSX and h4831 or 3.333 with ballistic tips and rl25. Good luck on the berger's I wasn't brave enough to try them. Might start with 3.333 and see how it goes.

+ 1 That's some very good advice.... and spot on.

It seems like alot of you like the ttsx bullets. Is this a bullet that the 257 likes or is it that alot you like this bullet in general? I've only tried the blue coated bullet in my 22-250 and had alot of problems with the "moly" coming off as I seated it. Anyone else have these problems?

It seems like alot of you like the ttsx bullets. Is this a bullet that the 257 likes or is it that alot you like this bullet in general? I've only tried the blue coated bullet in my 22-250 and had alot of problems with the "moly" coming off as I seated it. Anyone else have these problems?

I use {bought a big supple years ago} the blue coated bullets from Barnes, the VLC 50gr in my .224 Wby. Mag. They shoot fantastic in it. I've also used the XLC 100gr for hunting in my .257 Wby. Mag. Again very accurate.. I've never had any problem(s) with seating them.

Last edited:
436 thanx for the info, I might give the Barnes a try. Im still trying to decide which bullet to go with. Just reading all of the replies and will go from there.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.