Wby mk 5

Mr. Hired Gun ,

Many thanks ! As always I am overwhelmed with the depth of helpfulnes that is here on this site ! Also in the attitude correcting abilities of many here ( thanks Buffler bob ) that are abl;e to do so in a way that is not only not offensive ,but also encouraging .

This is Scotts rifle but I reckon for his best interest I will call Teresa .....darling /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Whatever the outcome of all this I will let you all know .

Jim B.

Hired Gun,

better number ( toll free ) 1-800-334-4423.
Thanks for the leads . The email I sent to the Arkansas representative has no t yielded a response as of yet . Was going to give it another day then call " Teresa " .

Jim B.

I'm glad you got it. I couldn't find the toll free one. Teresa always just gives it to me 15 seconds into the call or she just calls me right back. Only things I ever needed was some replacement action screws to replace the ones I messed up and one other time my son dropped one of my Accumarks with the floor plate open on the concrete and the trigger guard got cracked. For years I resisted and even down played the value of a Weatherby. All I ended up doing is cheating myself out of 25 years of getting to use them. Once I finally bought one I just can't get enough of them. Unless Kirby just built it I won't even look at anything else. Somebody on the board was spouting off a while back that oh yeah the occasional 3-5 shot group you will get lucky and get a decent group. Last Saturday I took my 257 Accumark out and set up at 200 yards and proceeded to shoot two 10 shot sub 1" groups. Most of the shots were hanging into a tight 3/8" group but I didn't have that great of rest and the wind was gusting and that opened it up a little. Don't ask how my 300 did that day. I think my scope is broke. It went from 1 1/2 inch groups to 8" groups and then a simple 1" adjustment would move the impact zone 12". It's coming off and my Black Diamond 8-32 is going on to see what is going on. That's the scope I use on my 257.

My experience has been very favorable with Weatherby. I had a stock break once and they sent me a new one no questions asked! I did convert my 30-378 to a 338 Lapua AI--Speedy did the work and it shoots almost as good as my competition rifle but that is to be expected.

HiredGun is a little slow I talked to him about Weatherbys for fifteen years tell I was blue in the face than I just gave up on him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif He came across a screaming deal on a .300 well now he's hooked. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I think he doesn't like to admit to being wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Boss Hoss ,

I am glad youe expereince has been tha t way .

I really shouldn't have gone off about the rifle in the first place.There are none out ther e that can't have problems , Reckon what I was most disturbed about was that I couldn't continue load development right away. "Misplaced anger" I think it's called /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thanks for your reply !

Hired Gun ,

I talked to Teresa and she said to take it to the WBY service gunsmith here ( the one in Stuttgart that Buffalobob steered me to ) Been having a heck of a time getting phone calls returned and the emails are ..............who knows .

So I drove to Stuttgart to see the smith and he was not there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I left the rifle anyway .

I will report as things develop .

Jim B.

Jost a follow up on the progress of getting this Wby worked on .

As I said in my last post to this thread I dropped the rifle off at the service center that Buffalobob and others turned me on to . A hour and a half drive to the Grand prairie of Arkansas. Smith wasn't there , but I left it anyway .

Talked to the smith the next day and he said it needs to go back to Weatherby , didn't say why .However , he did acknowledge that the problem is not with the rings /base / scope .

That was only a few days ago , haven't heard any more as it is too soon. I will post further developments as they occur .

Jim B.

meanwhile the ladder tests that I have loaded for this rifle wake me up at night when everyone else is asleep cying " shoot me , shoot me " /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well this is what I did.....called weatherby and said there was something wrong with my gun bc I had to shim the back base to get it to shoot on paper. {300wby MarkV Accumark} They had me send the gun in and they determined that the receivers metal was too soft and out of aligned with barrel! They replaced the gun and paid for everything, shipping FFL use everything! This gun is a tack driver it shoots 3260fps and .75 grounp at 200 yards, I have a 20MOA near base and rings on it with a Zeiss 4.5-14x50. 81.5gr of H4831, Federal 215gm primers with 180gr TSX at 3.725 OAL, I tried abunch of powder and this one is the one my guns LOVES!!! Weatherby has AWESOME customer service will stand behind their product 100% hope this HELPS

Magnus,

I thank you very much for your first hand experience ( so does Buffalobob , his wifes last name is Weatherby /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )

Seriously , thanks very much and may it be from " your mouth to Gods ear " on Scotts rifle .

You know , all it takes is a jig that gets out a smidge to cause many problems .

Jim B.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.