A-5 continued

Ian M

My McMillan A-5 was shot for several months as a drop-in with a very good shooting M-70 pushfeed action/Hart barrel in .308. McMillan CNC'd the stock for a Williams trigger guard and it is a beautiful fit and a great addition to the rifle. Result is only two stock bolts instead of three as Winchester originally intended.

As a drop-in we shot some nice groups, many sub 0.5's for five at 100 and some sub half minute out to 700. Recall one 3-shot group fired by a friend that went inside 1.5" at 700. After about 700 rounds the action had apparently settled into the stock a bit as the barrel had shifted over to bear on the right side of the barrel channel. Accuracy was getting worse in recent shooting tests (at or just over 1.0"), I could see that the barrel had moved.

Guess this shows that dropping a barreled action into a McMillan can result in a great shooting rig. But recoil forces have their way with the bedding area, whether the stock is walnut or composite. Eventually compression takes place that causes bedding changes, I have seen this a few times.

Anyhow, the rig is pillar bedded with Marine Tex now and it is shooting very well again. In the .4's and .5's for five shots at 100 yards with 175 BHA match.

What is all this leading up to??? Today I found out that there is not enough clearance to remove the bolt from an M-70 pushfeed if you have an Eagle stock pack on a McMillan A-5 - just can't do it . Have to remove the pack to take the bolt out of the receiver. That isn't the handiest. Either the stock pack goes or the rifle is out of here. I really like that rifle... not sure what to do.

Well, that's it, my big news for today
wink.gif
How can you tell that winter starts to get to a person on the prairies...

Ian, speaking of Winter, we have had several warm days this week and I walked out on our deck with my binocs to have a look. My ears told me to look North-West. Flying high were big Canadians, several hundred. There was also another group that I couldn't see. Then my eyes caught a group of Red Wing Blackbirds flocking in our bottoms. They're back too and the Bluebirds won't be far behind, maybe in a week or two. This tells me Spring isn't far off and it's coming your way. So take courage, it won't be long my friend.
tongue.gif

db

Ian

Just send that Stock Pack to me and I'll send a replacement for it that's guaranted to allow you to remove the bolt on the problematic Win M70. In fact, just to show good faith I'll tell you how to make one set before I send the parts... Take two (2) Zip Loc sandwich bags and a roll of quality Duck Tape (camo is available). Orient the Zip Loc bags so that one (1) has the opening pointed toward the muzzle and the other opening is pointed toward the butt of the rifle. Tape one (1) bag to each side of the butt stock, apply the tape to the sides of the bags. Once they're in place insert your favorite carry items in duplicate, one in each Zip Pack so that if one Zip Pack become non-operational or "disappears" would still be in good shape. These packs are twice as handy as that old Eagle Stock Pack and can be bought by the dozens!

Anytime I can help out like this let me know! Got any snow machines that are bothering you?? I got a replacement for them too!

Ian,

My standard Marksman stock is the same way with the SA M70 and an Eagle stock pack in place. I adjusted the rear strap shorter, so it sits further back on the comb, and the bolt will come out, albeit it rubs a touch.

Some trial and error will get you to a point were you will still get a good cheek weld and be able to remove the bolt. That is, unless the LOP is very short.

FatBoy...

Chris,
The stock pack would have to overhang the buttpad about 1/4 inch to let the bolt out, not enough material on the comb to let it fit. That is with a standard LOP. Sure like shooting that stock, the cutout in the bottom line of the buttstock makes for great control. Checked my Marksman, no sweat, lot of room. Never even gave it any thought on the HTG on the ROCK.

Dave,
Would it be OK if I took all the stock packs off my rifles and sent them to swap for some of those high-tech packs you are offering
wink.gif
Not sure the tape would hold in the weather we had a while back, but sure worth a try... Plus you could see what's inside.

DB
While I was at the SHOT show in Vegas last week our city was hit with one of the worst blizzards in memory. Two of my friends were caught in it. Said that sometimes they could not see the bugdeflector on the front of the Chevy (come to think of it, there probably weren't too many bugs flying that day either...). We were walking the strip in our shirtsleeves that day as I recall
grin.gif

You are correct, spring is slowly coming. We are up around freezing these days with nice sunny skies. Excellent shooting weather, the barrels don't heat up at all.

Ian

You can keep the ones on your legacy systems (computer lingo for "old(er) stuff"), just send the new ones!
smile.gif

On the tape coming loose... One of the benefits of the dual sided pack system is that you should notice you've lost one and use the spare (emergency) duct tape you've packed into the Zip Loc system to rectify any second occurance. AND you can be sure you'll make someone happy when they find your leavings in the now-abandoned sacrificial pack.

(I guess you're not the only one bored to near death huh.
smile.gif
smile.gif
)

Heard from Bruce R. about a conversation with you. He seemed delighten to have chatted with you at the show. I figure you must have been on your good behavior.

Good to have you back and posting.

Recall one 3-shot group fired by a friend that went inside 1.5" at 700.

That was 802 yards, but who's counting?
wink.gif

You don't know how bad I wish I were able to get out and shoot. This winter has been pretty miserable in every sense of the word.

[ 02-22-2004: Message edited by: Big Sky ]

Troy,
Sounds like you need a trigger-pulling fix. You need to get that Stealth and start crankin large quantities of ammo for next summer
smile.gif

Meeting Bruce was one of the highlights of the show, sure enjoyed meeting him and his bride. Real people!

We just found 17 stockpacks and got them up here. I am trying to fit one on my Big Bertha Encore, stock is a little wonky tho.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.