Wanted to show a Remington 700 drop-in bullpup chassis I've been developing

Roy: under 5lbs. V2 was 5lbs on the dot, and there has been some lightening up for this next version

Sillyrabbit: $1750-$2000 full price, with a preorder period at a reduced cost. It's fairly expensive, but there is a lot going on internally, and a very nice Timney unit included in that cost. I'm not making an absurd profit margin, it's just expensive to make.

Where do I hang my scope? Did I miss this?

Oh.. and please do one in short action Savage before thinking about Tikka. This could be a good setup for a barrel swapper.

If you scroll back a bit you'll see the rail that extends from the front of the action down the handguard. The setup for V3 will be similar, it just isn't pictured in this render.

It will take some ingenuitive thinking to get the safety moved forward on a Savage...but I guess that's the whole thought process behind this chassis and we should be able to get it done.

Side note, a "Remage" barrel nut setup will fit in this chassis, I've had numerous requests to make sure that works.

Roy: under 5lbs. V2 was 5lbs on the dot, and there has been some lightening up for this next version

Sillyrabbit: $1750-$2000 full price, with a preorder period at a reduced cost. It's fairly expensive, but there is a lot going on internally, and a very nice Timney unit included in that cost. I'm not making an absurd profit margin, it's just expensive to make.

Hey if it is a quality product made in the USA which it seems to be, I will be happy to pony up for a T3 version when you release it.

On a side note I know you mentioned it is currently 5lbs and getting lighter. With the use of a carbon fiber barrel shroud and any other carbon fiber parts that could be switched without ruining stiffness etc. what do you think the lightest this stock could be?I'd be really interested in building a LRH rig off this in a comfortable carrying weight so it was not only light but also compact while still giving me the barrel length to really reach out there!

Graybullet:

The trigger unit and linkage are crucial to my design, and as such I'm not comfortable sharing them at this time. I can try to answer questions for you though.

Sillyrabbit:

I can't really comment on a minimal weight right now, it would require some calculations, as I don't want throw out a number that may not be possible. I can say however we have thought about a carbon fiber and/or a lightweight version with extra machining added in. There is a significant amount that can be reduced, especially if this chassis takes off and gives us an R&D budget to really experiment with some innovative trigger designs we have mulled over.

Here is a GA Precision 6.5 SAUM with a Tempest action, and 28" barrel plus an Alamo Four Star brake I picked up the other day to put in my chassis. It will make a nice short little rig...don't usually hear that with a barrel of this length!

zif8Oz9.jpg

Hey Tyler,

Just a thought... how easy is it to remove and install an action in this chassis? could it be done without disturbing the scope? I have kind of a poor man SRS A1 in my mind by just switching out the barreled actions. and i like your design better than the SRS as your OAL can be shorter.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Looks interesting. I like the idea of the 6.5 SAUM. Ballistics should be close to that of the 264 Win Mag.

Hey Tyler,

Just a thought... how easy is it to remove and install an action in this chassis? could it be done without disturbing the scope? I have kind of a poor man SRS A1 in my mind by just switching out the barreled actions. and i like your design better than the SRS as your OAL can be shorter.

It's not hard, but it does require more disassembly than an SRS. I would guess around 30 minutes for someone's first time to install a barreled action and hook up the linkage system to the trigger. Unfortunately the scope will have to be removed, a barreled action is installed and then the forend installed, or else there's just no way to make it fit because of the angles required during installation.

I will include instructions, and probably a jump drive with video instructions as well with chassis units.

I have a trigger back from Timney, and just need to make a few pieces to experiment with before sending them the files to start a big batch.

I got a 6.5 SAUM barreled action from GA Precision and put it in my V2 chassis. It has 31" worth of barrel and brake and is just a touch longer than my CZ/Manners trainer 22:

wHcbGi4.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts