Wanted - Mule deer hunt Texas - 2022

Alaska is the absolute best bang for the buck without a doubt. Drop camp fly-in for caribou, Sitka deer or black bear are the best. Guided Mule deer and elk hunts are a joke to pay someone that kind of money (even if you have the money) to get you into an area or ranch that "might" hold some 160/170 animals.

Go for the experience, even if you don't kill. Alaska is unbelievable
My best hunt ever was a fly-in drop camp with my brother and two great friends for caribou with our bows and one rifle for 11 days.

I promise YOU won't forget it!
How much did that hunt cost you? My brother and a couple of friends have been dreaming about doing a hunt like that for like the last 10 years. We would love to do moose and caribou.

How much did that hunt cost you? My brother and a couple of friends have been dreaming about doing a hunt like that for like the last 10 years. We would love to do moose and caribou.
I tried to PM you to avoid sidetracking the OP's original request.

It was a long time ago, but everything was $2300 -
- Round Trip Airfare to Anchorage from Phx
- Float plane to Tutna Lake
- 2 Caribou tags and license
- 2 nights hotel

We planned and researched everything. I would imagine it's probably double that cost nowadays. But there are a lot of air taxis up there, but you need to do your research as to where you want to hunt. We did not hit the "migration" but we were in caribou everyday.

Please feel free to PM for more info and we can take the conversation offline👍

I tried to PM you to avoid sidetracking the OP's original request.

It was a long time ago, but everything was $2300 -
- Round Trip Airfare to Anchorage from Phx
- Float plane to Tutna Lake
- 2 Caribou tags and license
- 2 nights hotel

We planned and researched everything. I would imagine it's probably double that cost nowadays. But there are a lot of air taxis up there, but you need to do your research as to where you want to hunt. We did not hit the "migration" but we were in caribou everyday.

Please feel free to PM for more info and we can take the conversation offline👍

Alaska - Unguided just the float plant cost was over $4K the last time I went. I believe for unguided drop camps just for caribou they are getting around $6k now depending on where you go. Add moose and non-residents hunting areas really drop and cost go up significantly. This is just based on my experience……

We planned our trip on our own. We split our float plane cost between the four of us. The DeHavilland Beaver carried four of us and all of our gear about an hour out of Anchorage. It appears they charge about $1200 - $2000 per hour these days.
Non Resident License- $160
Non Res Caribou tag - $650

Make a few calls and talk to some of them. It's a little bit of research but it's worth it.

Alaska - Unguided just the float plant cost was over $4K the last time I went. I believe for unguided drop camps just for caribou they are getting around $6k now depending on where you go. Add moose and non-residents hunting areas really drop and cost go up significantly. This is just based on my experience……
I'm doing my drop camp this year for about $4,000, just Caribou

Alaska is the absolute best bang for the buck without a doubt. Drop camp fly-in for caribou, Sitka deer or black bear are the best. Guided Mule deer and elk hunts are a joke to pay someone that kind of money (even if you have the money) to get you into an area or ranch that "might" hold some 160/170 animals.

Go for the experience, even if you don't kill. Alaska is unbelievable
My best hunt ever was a fly-in drop camp with my brother and two great friends for caribou with our bows and one rifle for 11 days.

I promise YOU won't forget it!
AZHTR....And about how much does it cost to travel to AK and do a fly in drop off hunt AK now?

I'm doing my drop camp this year for about $4,000, just Caribou

Looks like Bill28 has done some research. 👍

Round trip airfare from Phoenix to Anchorage is ~$425 (just checked)
AK Non Res License- $160
AK Non Res Caribou tag - $650

Per my earlier post, if you do a little homework, Alaska is a bargain to get to hunt a different animal you can't hunt in the lower 48. Yes, it's easier to drop $10k and higher a guide to handle the logistics, but the planning was half the fun. I had more time than money at that time of my life.

Last edited:
Caribou hunting , they just fallow one another- a 6.5 or a 7mm will work on them for sure . One year got caught in a white-out spent the night out there - had the necessary gear to do it-with me . Been there some 8 times now- love the country last frontier for sure.

Last edited: